Why images are not aligning when grouped with other photos from same photoshoot?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThursdayJuly23rd
    3Dflourished
    • Jul 2020

Why images are not aligning when grouped with other photos from same photoshoot?

Good morning everyone ( 3:01am for me ) ... here is a quick question about why the same images that were successfully aligned in one 56 image project failed to align in the 704 image project. Please see screenshot. On a positive note I'm super happy to see that the survey marker text and color looks great

Click image for larger versionName:	9kFlmFr.jpgViews:	0Size:	240.9 KBID:	6653

Click image for larger versionName:	HdjDPHC.jpgViews:	0Size:	187.8 KBID:	6655

Click image for larger versionName:	UEgfOEA.jpgViews:	0Size:	296.9 KBID:	6654
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi,

what is likely happening is that you don't have a lot of overlap between may photos, and that seems to be the case by looking at your capture pattern in your other topics.

It's likely that zephyr is unable to merge a cluster of photos with another cluster - so you can process them separately, but it's difficult to merge them.

If I understand correctly by looking at your screenshot in your other topic, here is what your pattern looks like, from the top - disconnected photos that do not converge to your subject

Click image for larger version

Name:	trees-1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	6671

It's easy to get a disconnected dataset this way. I would personally consider each tree as a subject, then do a capture of the general area. This will ensure good reconstruction of your single subjects (the trees) while maintaining overlap and helping zephyr keep a "sense" of the scene

Name:	trees-2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	6672
    Not that if there is too much distance, you should always keep shooting. Try to keep the dataset connected, for example, if necessary, like this

Name:	trees-3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	6673

Avoid big chunks of photos where you are standing still and just rotating - those will not give zephyr much information as it will lack parallax. Try getting more shots (even with the same pattern) at different heights - different angles alone from the same height are not going to give enough information.

I hope this helps - if you want to share the dataset I will be happy to check it out for you.

Comment

Working...