X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pconnell
    3Dflower
    • Jul 2016

New high-core CPUs - any advantages?

With AMD Threadripper and Intel's new I9, I understand that GPU is a speed up factor (I run a GTX 970 quite happily), but just for information purposes, would these new CPUs have any benefits when running Zephyr?

I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon, I'm just curious what an 18 core beast could do for Zephyr (if anything).
    With 16 cores on tap, AMD's Ryzen-based Threadripper just might be the fastest consumer CPU ever sold.
    Last edited by pconnell; 2017-06-09, 09:56 AM. Reason: Threads edited to cores. Core i9 7980XE with 18 cores and 36 threads
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi pconnell!

that's a very interesting question to which i don't have a black and white answer. We sadly didn't have the chance to run proper benchmarking with ryzen, plus, there's always how much performance you get for money which makes hard to evaulate which is the best buy.

That said, in Zephyr we optimize as much as we can, but certain parts of the algorithm are single threaded by nature and cannot be parallelized at all. So while the majority of the algorithm is parallelized and takes advantage especially of multi GPUs, i think that after a certain thershold, CPU is not going to help that much.

Personally, i think a better price vs performance strategy is to add a second card (doesn't have to be the same as the first one, as zephyr uses cards independently).

I have in my todo wishlist some benchmarking, but we never find the time. Hopefully i can find some in the upcoming months

Comment

Working...