• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott Nebeker
    3Dfollower
    • Sep 2016

Numbered Lines In The Log

This is kind of a compliment and kind of a gripe

The image attached is a screenshot of a log. It's a normal log with nothing special, it's a recreation of an object with everything set to default settings (or very close to it).

The log begins at 22:52:23. What I'm showing is the ending point of the 22:52:23 timestamps. That ONE second goes on, upward, for a very long ways and is filled with all sorts of goodies, from diagnostic information, to initialization of key technologies/hardware, to reloading items in the cache or putting them into the cache.

I point out that single point in time in the log only to demonstrate that, while a very useful tool, it's becoming harder and harder to identify and learn about what the software is doing behind the scenes and to self-diagnose things once we gain an understanding of it. Samantha simply goes too fast now. <--(that's the compliment)

My request would be to somehow number each line with something in addition to timestamps. Personally, I'd prefer a number next to each line so when I'm being obnoxious and email the Zephyr guys, it's easier to describe what I (in my stupidity) think went wrong.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

I think that's a good idea but you'll have to ask the boss

Comment

• desk87
      3Dflow Staff
      • Nov 2017

It's done. With the next release the user will be able to enable/disable both the timestamps and the line numbers for the log. The option will be available in the Options - Application menu.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

just to clarify, he's not the boss :3

Comment

• Filippo
          3Dflow staff
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Andrea Alessi
          just to clarify, he's not the boss :3
          far from it!