• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig
    3Dflower
    • Oct 2022

Human readable target centers

Hi,

I have been using 3DFZ for a while and really find it useful. I upgraded to the full version for the coded targets and GCPs because I find they make a big difference. One issue I have with AprilTags is the software does a great job of locating and orienting them, but I find it challenging to manually measure center to center distances for reference since many of them do not have an obvious center point that a person can identify.

Also, I have used PhotoModeler for many years and they make use of coded circular targets (which I understand have limitations that AprilTags solve) and also non-coded circular targets. In my projects I often to use a mixture of coded and non-coded targets with the non-coded circular targets because the non-coded targets are physically much smaller and easier to add at key desired dimensions. The software can solve the center point of the dots to sub-pixel levels and it's easy to measure dot to dot distances manually. The manual measurements can be done with a center dot pre-printed on the target or just edge to edge distances.

In any event, my feature request is for 3DFZ to include locating the center of circular dots in images. I can manually link the dots together afterwards since the photos will all have been oriented with AprilTags as well. An alternative would be a coded target with human-identifiable center points.

thanks, Craig
Working...