• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Irkie500
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • Nov 2017

Photoscanned ground textures failing to build sparse point cloud

Hello,

I have been playing around with your software to see if it would be a solid choice for my needs(hobbyist video game art producer) and one thing I encountered is an issue building a sparse point cloud of ground textures. I took about 20 photos of grass with a monopod extended off to one side with the camera facing straight down towards the ground about 3 feet high. I was taking a picture every step with roughly 50% overlap, however when I loaded the photos I was presented with an error saying "sorry your image could not be produced" or something along those lines. I changed a few settings including doing an exhaustive search and also changing the mode to aerial to see if that would help, no luck.

I did reconstruct a rock beautifully as well as render out video with no issues, it was just this top down approach that failed. Any tips/tricks to help me out the next time around? Perhaps the grass did not have enough varying details for the photos to match to, or 20 pictures is not enough for this software to work with.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Irkie,

it's a bit hard to say without having a look at the images. It's possible that 50% overlap was not enough for that specific subject, however i would expect the ground to have enough features to work with that. I would probably start by taking photos with more overlap.

If you can share your photos with me i'll happily have a look at them, so that i can pinpoint your issue with less uncertainty

Comment

Working...