X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvionAvionics
    3Dflourished
    • Nov 2017

Densification question

I am not sure if I have missed it somewhere or not, but is there a way to control the Point Cloud Filter "Densification"? Example I have a Jet on top of a ground plane, The jet has spotty areas in its point cloud but the ground doesn't. Is there a way to densify just the jet or areas of the jet?
  • Roberto
    3Dflow
    • Jun 2011

It's not possible to apply a filter only to a part of the point cloud (like in the mesh filters). However you can do this:

- Select the points you want to densify
    - Create a new "layer via cut"
    - Apply the densification filter to the newly created point cloud object
    - Merge the new and the old point cloud objects (ctrl + select the two point clouds from the left pane, then right click and select merge)

Comment

• AvionAvionics
      3Dflourished
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Roberto
      It's not possible to apply a filter only to a part of the point cloud (like in the mesh filters). However you can do this:

- Select the points you want to densify
      - Create a new "layer via cut"
      - Apply the densification filter to the newly created point cloud object
      - Merge the new and the old point cloud objects (ctrl + select the two point clouds from the left pane, then right click and select merge)
      I never considered that. Brilliant, thank you Roberto

Comment

• AvionAvionics
        3Dflourished
        • Nov 2017

Roberto Thanks for the trick on the Denification of the point clouds. It seems to work 50/50 percent of the time. It worked on the largest of the holes however there are a couple smaller holes that are being stubborn and sticking around. When I separate the area and densify the region they are in it looks fine, but when I merge the two point clouds together, the Densified area doesn't always seem to retain the densification. Maybe user error or some other reason, I will experiment more It is just strange that it worked on the bigger areas.

Comment

• Roberto
          3Dflow
          • Jun 2011

AvionAvionics, pretty strange. Tomorrow I will check about possible issues. You may try to save and load again the workspace after the merge to see if it's only a rendering-related isssue.

Comment

• AvionAvionics
            3Dflourished
            • Nov 2017

Roberto I tried that and it was still pretty much the same even after a computer reset.Since the spotty area was on a thin area that had two sides, so what i ended up doing was deleting the areas around the spots and then doing a Fill hole filter. This way also saved me time on not having to do densification as well.

Comment

Working...