X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvionAvionics
    3Dflourished
    • Nov 2017

Merge Differences?

This may be a strange/stupid question but when would it be more appropriate to merge on the mesh level over the point cloud level?
  • Roberto
    3Dflow
    • Jun 2011

It's usually better to merge at point cloud level, before the mesh generation. The main reason is the following: suppose that you have two adjacent meshes and two adjacent point clouds. If you merge the point clouds and then generate a single mesh, you won't get any seam between the two merging regions. Instead, if you 'join' meshes, the two meshes will be disconnected. The only drawback of merging point clouds might be that computing a mesh using more points can take more time than computing two disconnected meshes and then combine them.

Comment

• AvionAvionics
      3Dflourished
      • Nov 2017

Roberto is there a way to keep the point clouds from getting confused? I have one point cloud that is an airfield, and one that is a detailed plane located on the airfield. (I delete the dense point cloud from the airfield so only the high dense cloud is only left in the spot, they seem to merge fine however when I turn them into a mesh it seems to get confused and the planes wing seems to go across the airfield. Not quite sure how to upload the large dataset or I would post it

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi AvionAvionics,

sorry for the delayed response, i missed your post!

I can open up a shared directory on our server or you can use dropbox / wetransfer to send us your dataset, let me know.

It's not really clear what you mean though, can you post a screenshot of the issue?

Comment

• AvionAvionics
          3Dflourished
          • Nov 2017

Andrea Alessi

I can, I have to however lets the previous incremental save render it again overnight. I am afraid I didn't screenshot it and anytime I try and open the file, I get error code 7 whenever it tried to load the textured mesh. I will post here once it is acquired along with what it looked like before the merge

Comment

• AvionAvionics
            3Dflourished
            • Nov 2017

Andrea Alessi I came in this morning and the scan still was not finished. I have now been informed that the particular job is no longer need and been asked to move on to another project/issue. So sorry to trouble you.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

No worries! Always feel free to ask

Comment

Working...