X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvionAvionics
    3Dflourished
    • Nov 2017

Cars, Windows and Interior

Hey guys, This seems like a big issue area with photogrammetry and was hoping for some advise. I have done various test, scans, densifications,re-scans,Masking, CP merges etc to try and get good quality. I have tried on two different vehicles. 1 Raptor and 1 Thunderbird. The Raptor was done with a drone while the Thunderbird was done with our company camera. As you can see The Main body of the Thunderbird was decent but the black glossy surface/windows have been utterly awful. Tried to get some interior shots to improve the inside but they never really came out to anything usable, even with when set as their standalone job.

Does anyone have advice on any of the following situations
    1. how one might go about getting windows to show up? Right now I am considering various options between (buying dirt from local store to dirty them up), dry erase marker (unsure how well that comes off windows) , (taping identification cards on the windows). The dirt seems like the most logical solution but I am wondering if someone has advice or experience.
    2. Interiors - how exactly do people get car interiors? (Do most people get them from the outside photo sets, or do they take individual photos and form a separate scan and merge in with CP? I have tried both and the Outside shots seem to do better but again it is nothing great and not as detailed as I had hoped.

Going out tomorrow for another photoshoot so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is the best results i have got so far
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi AvionAvionics,

unfortunately as you already transparent and glossy surfaces are hard for photogrammetry.

The easiest solution is to have a dirty car like this old 126 https://sketchfab.com/models/522c83e...19af4c29ba75ce

Of course this is not always possible. Another solution is to use projected patterns, but this requires a controlled environment. So you can take pictures with a projector on and one off, and use the projector -off images only for texturing.

Another option, which however takes quite some time, is to use the shape from silhouette feature.

Interiors are difficult as well because it's hard to move around the interior (and often they are just shiny black plastics) so the same concept apply.

I hope this helps a bit

Comment

• Davidtully
      Blossoming 3Dflower
      • Aug 2018

Andrea Alessi Hi - i am new to your application (lite version) and I was wondering if you could discuss more about the Projected Patterns you mention in this post. Are you talking about something like the following project by Microsoft (which is discontinued but embedded in Hololens) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rese...ect/roomalive/
      they use projected images to map and reconstruct the room.
      I was thinking about using a polarizing lens when taking pics and putting card on the windows behind, and then remake them in 3DS max. Would you suggest this is an ok idea?

Thanks - Dave

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi David,

you can find a quick example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06k...ature=youtu.be ( from 4:20 )

Basically, you force features on a subject, which you will be use for all steps. However, if you need also the original texture, you can swap out the images with the pattern with images without the pattern (assuming you shot them, so you will need some type of rig / controlled setup to take two photos from the same position).

From your post (and the fact you have replied on this thread rather than starting your own) i assume you are specifically interested in transparent surfaces, specifically ?

Comment

Working...