X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gregchop
    3Dflourished
    • Feb 2018

3D Scanning Table - to the next level

Well, after a ton of testing I have had a great deal of success making up for all the issues we are having regarding this software behaving like a DIVA when it comes to which photo's it feels have enough features to process, as well as any blurring. To start with I ran some test where I used several types of targets within the view and found having the targets on the ground (a generous amount) made a significant improvement where the software was throwing out my images. Second, I fixed the camera to specific distance and angle with remarkable performance results (less taxing on the software), Third, I used a white background, which removed the need to mask (Thanks to the ground features, the loss of background features made this possible. End Game the solution: I designed and built from my Z18 Printer and my Mill, a 9 DOF 3D scanning table. The table consist of a 4 and 5th Axis rotory (precision rotation, and very repeatable), a table top directly mounted to the rotory device covered in features (shown is a checkerboard, but I might actually go to a circular grid) The rotory device is captured with a 3D printed housing mounted to a very sturdy Speaker Tripod. The Camera is attached to a 7 DOF articulation arm that allows the Camera to be positioned anywhere (and stay put). The Backdrop is also rigidly mount to the back of the rotory device (Fixed) so the back ground is always in line of sight to the camera. This unit should be up and running by this wednesday ish. Will keep everyone posted and share the result(s) images for all to try out. :-)
  • Gregchop
    3Dflourished
    • Feb 2018

I have shared a link to a small video of my results using only 13 images

https://youtu.be/6muP5FtYJQU

DropBox - I have included the whole IronMan Project including the Mask

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9pw3e42wk...M25z5z9za?dl=0
    Last edited by Gregchop; 2018-03-04, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Gregchop
      3Dflourished
      • Feb 2018

Comment

• Roberto
        3Dflow
        • Jun 2011

Excellent results with few images! And thank you for sharing your insights

Comment

• Gregchop
          3Dflourished
          • Feb 2018

OK...so Table is complete, I actually bought the software....lets see what the results look like. I have added a photo of the table I built, it also has a white backdrop that attaches.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Gregchop
            3Dflourished
            • Feb 2018

So far so good, it recognized 75 of the 75 images taken, sparse point cloud looks really good

Comment

• Gregchop
              3Dflourished
              • Feb 2018

Results of Scanning Table....Remarkable results

Comment

• Gregchop
                3Dflourished
                • Feb 2018

My 3D asset generated with photogrammetry software 3DF Zephyr v3.702 processing 75 images

Comment

• gazaah
                  3Dflower
                  • Feb 2018

Oh wow! Can you share the calibration image you used? I've been Scotch taping the 3dSOM software's callibration image to my turn table.

Comment

• cjhilinski
                    3Dfollower
                    • Feb 2018

I like your turntable design a lot. I'm in the process of building an automated turntable that uses an Arduino Uno, easy driver stepper driver, 16x2 display and IR LED. The software in the arduino turns the turntable a specified distance, stops, flashes the LED which causes the Nikon to take a photo, rotates the table to the next position, etc., through a full 360 degrees. I've only been turning the turntable manually so far and I haven't tested the automatic part fully yet to determine exactly how long the arduino needs to wait for the Nikon to take the photo. I've used a newspaper background, but I've been thinking that some playing cards might work a little better. I used this as the basis: http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...nfinite-Resol/

Comment

• Gregchop
                      3Dflourished
                      • Feb 2018

Thats funny, I to am working on (Completed the Software and The mechanical) NC controls for my table. I used Ardruino Devices which control the Table rotation (Stepper), camera Controls (Hardline to a D5600 Nikon) and a few other things. I can share with you the schematics and the program if you like. Here is the breadboard, I should have the final Hardboard done by this weekend.

Functions
                      5 Degree (Manual)
                      5 Degrees Automatic (Rotates 5 Degrees --> Takes image ---> continues unassisted for 360 Degrees)
                      Same for 10 Degrees, 15, 30 and 45 Degrees
                      Laser Grid Controls (2 GREEN Laser Grids projected 180 each side(2), rotates with rotation table)
                      Manual/Auto Shutter release
                      Aux. 1 and Aux. 2 (Future expansion for lighting controls)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gregchop; 2018-03-27, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• cjhilinski
                        3Dfollower
                        • Feb 2018

I finished and successfully tested mine last night. My BOM was a NEMA 17 stepper motor from an old printer, Arduino Uno, Sainsmart 1602 LCD shield, EasyDriver from Sparkfun, IR LEDs from Amazon. Software from the Instructables url I posted. My builds often stop at the prototype stage and I don't take the time to make them look good. As long as they work, they're generally good enough for me and the dogs.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002_00001.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2164
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Gregchop
                          3Dflourished
                          • Feb 2018

Progress so far, I have finished all the Controls and am finishing up on 3D printing now, Table is full automated including Lasers, lights, camera controls, rotation and more. Should have the project done this week complete. Will take some video's of the system running. Am sure many will like the Touchscreen controls and logic

Comment

• Gregchop
                            3Dflourished
                            • Feb 2018

2 more days til project completion.....looking awesome

Comment

Working...