Help! Complex mesh > Clean > Reduce > Make Normal Map.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SarahC
    3Dflourished
    • Mar 2018

Help! Complex mesh > Clean > Reduce > Make Normal Map.

Skills
    I've dabbled in Maya (and Blender) and wrote low-level rendering experiments to display the classic Elite ships: https://codepen.io/SarahC/pen/QqobmO?editors=1010
    So my experience is broad, but very limited. Full of holes - like my meshes! hah!

My model versions
    Here are my models, the original, the "fixed", and the "reduced".... recording the disaster one step at a time:

Where the model came from
    I'm using the Angel tutorial model.

Why I want to simplify the mesh and make a normal map
    I plan on uploading my own models to sketchfab - as I'm using a free account, I can't upload my own scans raw - as they're massive - check out the vertices in this monster from the 3DF team:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/2e83fb6...258537b126d4f9

As you know, Zephyr makes huge polygon count meshes as you can see from the link, so I plan to reduce the polygon count, and add a normal map. It'll be fun to work it all out.

I thought a good basis for sorting out the massive meshes down to something I can upload would be by using the tutorial model - as that's going to be the best-case model I can expect to create when I make my own.

Experience so far
    I've spent the weekend (and last weekend) learning the steps I need to do this in Maya 2018 for the mesh simplifying (it can simplify small areas too, which will be very useful) and I've found I hit glitches almost at every step.

When I import the Angel mesh into Maya - I can't "reduce" the mesh because there's non-manifold geometry. So I go into "Cleanup" and select the "Remove non-manifold geometry.

Sometimes at this point - the UV's get stretched!
    Other than that the model looks fine after this step.

I then hit "Reduce" with the options all at default, apart from the reduce-percentage, which I set to about 80%.

At this point I then see holes in the mesh! HOLES! Now I'm typing this up and thinking it through, is this because the non-manifold geometry removal left holes, and didn't close the gap?

I've tried filling this model's holes, and carrying on with "Substance Painter" using the high poly mesh and the low poly mesh to bake myself some normal maps.
    You might be laughing at this point at the tragedy of it all, but as you can imagine..... the normal maps are blank.

Finally - the last step I haven't properly got to yet is the normal map baking in Substance Painter:
    This is the video of the high/low poly mesh workflow I'm trying... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEixVr6elpw

I'm using this one because I don't need a bounding box for the model, and one less step is great for me due to my lack of skills.

I mention it because I might be needing to do something specific in Maya for Substance Painter, but I'm so ignorant I don't know so I'm throwing this in too.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Sarah,

The holes you see in your reduced mesh is because they are not triangles but n-gons. Make sure to make maya generate a triangular mesh, as it looks maya will generate n-gons in its decimation process. Sorry if i can't be of further help but i'm not a maya user

We're adding quads (but not n-gons) support for import/export with custom UVs in the next zephyr version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ngon.png
Views:	1213
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	2229

Regardless, my suggestion would be to use the photoconsistency filter as well the retopology filter (which can be applied also on a sub-selection of the mesh) on the mesh phase in order to decimate your mesh while keeping details where needed. I then do UV-mapping in blender and import it in order to generate the textured mesh in zephyr. At this stage, you can also do geometry fixes in blender (or another tool of course, i'm not a proficient 3D modeler so i know just a little bit of blender) safely.

Here are a couple of tutorials that shows the workflow i mentioned:

Learn how to use the photoconsistent mesh optimization filter in order to extract more details from your photogrammetry project or to obtain a low poly mesh ...

Learn to generate textured mesh in 3DF Zephyr using custom UVs. In this tutorial, we show how to use blender to unwrap a mesh that will then be imported and ...

I hope this helps!

Comment

• SarahC
      SarahC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! You've helped lots.

From experimenting a bit more, I've found Marmoset Toolbag 3 has the *easiest* Normal Map baking system - drop low and high poly meshes into a "build tree", and after each bake, it's easy to view the preview of the low poly mesh. It's missing lots of features of Maya, Blender, and others - but I made the most progress with it for getting started.

I tried baking a normal map for the angel using a cube for the low poly mesh - it worked perfectly:
      Discover topics like zephyr, normal map, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like SarahC011001.

So the high poly mesh "as is" is fine for the normal map - but needs a bit of work like the items you suggest, in order to make a low poly mesh that can surround the high poly one in the baking "envelope".

Thanks for your help and screenshots!
Working...