X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjhilinski
    3Dfollower
    • Feb 2018

Smooth surface scan

We'll start with the fact that I'm using the free version because I'm still evaluating which programmetry program I want to buy. Second, I am a hobbyist who occasionally needs to make a new part for something. I put the cover of a DeWalt 611 router on my turntable and shot 48 photographs and brought those into Zephyr and masked each one. During the alignment phase, Zephyr only aligned six of them. The part is smooth and textureless, and I assume that it's having a hard time finding points. It seemed to only like the photos that include the label. So I was wondering whether there's any merit to including some targets on the turntable (for example some playing cards) to help it get the cameras aligned. Or is the best method to add texture/points on the original model by splattering paint or something on it. The model looks like this:
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi cjhilinski,

uniform surfaces are always difficult, but generally speaking, to get better results, you should try to have some texture on the actual subject.

- you can help zepyhyr in the SfM phase by placing something in the scene (targets or a newspaper, or something textured). However, you still may get wobbly surfaces in the next stages due to uniform surfaces creating a lot of ambiguities.

- the best solution would be to add texture to your subject, e.g. by dirtying the surface using powder or something else. That however will obvioulsy "ruin" the texture of the object. If the texture is important to you, you can also use projectors to project a pattern and take two photos (on-off) and change the workspace images for the texturing phase. This last process is briefly shown in this videotutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06kgYBftak (roughly at the 4m20s mark)

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎