• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • treddie
    3Dflower
    • Jun 2018

Cannot get Zephyr model into ZBrush

Hello.

I am new to Zephyr and one thing I notice is that it does not automatically unwrap the UVs before exporting out as OBJ. Photoscan works in this respect, but not Zephyr. And when it does export the OBJ, it insists on breaking the texture up into multiple image files. Why the heck does it do that?! I just need one texture because I want to export the OBJ to ZBrush which does not like multiple textures. Otherwise, I cannot use Zephyr if it cannot work with ZBrush.

Any advice is welcome!
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hello treddie,

by default the generated textured mesh uses 4 textures, but you can easily set it to "1"

Click image for larger version

Name:	texture.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2804

(that's actually from the latest in-development beta so yours will be slightly different, but my point still stands.)

As for the unwrapping, we do not do that because automatic unwrapping will never be perfect. By leaving it wrapped, we ensure that triangles are optimized and texture space is not wasted, so you will have much more beautiful textures.

If you wish to unwrap, you can easily create your own custom UVs and re-texturize it.

Unwrap tutorial: https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...xture-blender/

Unwrap videotutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvXBzw2PVMU

Comment

• treddie
      3Dflower
      • Jun 2018

Ahhh! Thank you very much for your reply. And you make perfect sense.

Still, I would like to see 3DFlow take a crack at at least offering unwrap, because it can't be any worse than anyone else's approach (With a disclaimer about the issue of mesh errors). And, for small 3D-printed models, the errors may not even be evident. This could be a viable option by also taking a third-party app out of the mix (like Blender), and simplifying the user's pipeline between Zephyr and ZBrush (or other).

Comment

Working...