How do you add a bottom-base to a statue?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiNo
    3Dflourished
    • Feb 2018

How do you add a bottom-base to a statue?

Hi, Are there any of the tutorials / reference material that show how to add a bottom-base to a statue? (For example, how was the bottom added to the base of the Dante statue so that it is completely closed?)

Also, the photo's used in the Dante statue model have obviously been masked. Is it possible to see the masks within Zephyr?

Regards,

Noel.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Noel,

in that specific model, a simple "fill holes" mesh filter was applied.

However, if you can move the object, you can create a full model by masking unwanted parts ( see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGRw8LbXknU for reference )

If you doubleclick any camera in the left panel (or right click -> properties) you can directly see the applied masks on the image in zephyr too.

Edit: or, maybe you meant to see the actual masks we used for that dataset? I may have misunderstood

Click image for larger version  Name:	maskinzephyr.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	3115
    Last edited by Andrea Alessi; 2018-08-10, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• LiNo
      3Dflourished
      • Feb 2018

Thanks Andrea. "Fill all holes" is exactly what I was looking for. I'll experiment with this.
      Perfect re the masking - on the Dante statue model. But when I look at my own project photo's, it shows a different screen (with no "Show Mask" option). Is this because I'm using RAW (ARW) files? Is there any way to do this for RAW photos? (I was trying to add a screenshot, but I couldn't paste it sorry)

Regards,

Noel.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LiNo; 2018-08-10, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi Noel,

if you don't see a "show mask" option, then you do not have a valid mask used in your project. Make sure to check "Mask images" in the project wizard when starting a new project, even if the masks are already on the hard drive.

Comment

• LiNo
          3Dflourished
          • Feb 2018

Thanks Andrea. I figured that's likely the problem and I will run the project again tonight ( but this will be the fourth time and it is very unusual that I would make that mistake three times in a row). As an FYI, this is the link to the project, but there is no need to look at it further until I have rerun the project tonight.

The project is Total 20180809.ZEP (earlier versions have other reference numbers).
          Thanks again for all of your help.

Regards,

Noel.
          Last edited by LiNo; 2018-08-10, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• LiNo
            3Dflourished
            • Feb 2018

Hi Andrea, I reran the project. Making sure that I selected that I wanted to us masking, but not during SfM. The result was exactly the same (the project model and the properties screenshot - right click on photo, select properties, no option to select mask). I am going to try two more attempts again, the first to include the masking in SfM, the second to stop stop after the first step (and right click on the photo at that point so that I can check the photo properties screenshot).

Regards,

Noel.

Comment

• LiNo
              3Dflourished
              • Feb 2018

Hi again Andrea. As an FYI, I reran the project as outlined and the result was the same in both circumstances. I also remembered that this was the first time that I had used the "Urban" preset, and so reran it with "close range" but the result was the same (i.e. no masking info available, although the model generated looked better).

Regards,

Noel.

Comment

• LiNo
                3Dflourished
                • Feb 2018

Hi Andrea, Did you have any luck with this?

Regards,

Noel.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                  3Dflow Staff
                  • Oct 2013

Hi Noel,

sorry it took a while to get back to you!

I confirm there is currently a bug with .ARW files and masks. This happens because the exif data height is incoherent with the height computed by zephyr. This is expected when dealing with raw formats (as they have a variety of information) and depending on the demosaicing algorithm used, the final size of the image may vary a little.

we have fixed it in our internal build and we'll publish a patch soon (hopefully this week).

At this moment, your masks are completetly ignored. As a workaround until the patch, you can convert your ARW to JPGs.

Once again, sorry for the late reply!

Comment

• LiNo
                    3Dflourished
                    • Feb 2018

Thank you Andrea.
                    I have a workflow to convert to the JPG's, but (given the size of the files) I think that it is best (for me) to wait for the push. Completely understood.

Regards,

Noel.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                      3Dflow Staff
                      • Oct 2013

Hi Noel,

yesterday we published 4.005 with the ARW fix. You should already be set to go if you update

Comment

Working...