X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulz
    3Dflower
    • Jul 2014

temp files causing a crash??

So, I'm a little new to the program, but essentially I have about 650 high res photos that I load in to do the point cloud reconstruction, and it crashes right before the point cloud finalizes; also I discover that my C drive has somehow become completely full (like 400Kb of free space!)
    So I tried installing on a separate drive, hoping the temp files would go to that drive during calculations, but nope; crash and C drive is full again.
    Then I go into settings and try to set a different directory, which the closest thing I could find was labeled something like "proxy directory", so I think it could work, but when I started the calculations again, no files were being written to the directory I designated...

basically I want it to stop saving the temp files from the calculations to my c drive(because its a tiny SS drive that is low on space). what do I do?? obviously I am in way over my head.. anyone...?
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hello Paul,

Zephyr uses windows' temporary directory settings: the only way to change the path to the temporary directory with the current version is to actually change the windows temporary directory settings from advanced syste settings -] environment variables

I'll let our technical director know that it would be nice to customize it as an option, thanks for the feedback!

Let me know if i can be of further help!

Andrea

Comment

• paulz
      3Dflower
      • Jul 2014

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Comment

• paulz
        3Dflower
        • Jul 2014

Tried it, stilled crashed while finalizing (I think). My C drive was full again, too. And this is after I switched the default directory in Windows for temp files... Any thoughts?

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
          3Dflow Staff
          • Oct 2013

Sorry to hear that, that's strange.

I'm doing some tests right now to try and reproduce the issue, in the meantime could you tell me which Os are you running please ? And which version of Zephyr?

thanks

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
            3Dflow Staff
            • Oct 2013

odd, i can't replicate your issue with my current configuration. Please post your config here, i'll probably have to try on a clean install and not on my dev/testing machines

Comment

• paulz
              3Dflower
              • Jul 2014

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, Intel i7-4770k, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 780.

Not sure why, it seems to just keep wanting to save the temp files on my main system drive while its running calculations. I've even installed the app onto a separate drive in hopes that it would default to saving the temp files onto the drive on which the application is installed..I'm guessing there's a conflict caused by other software somewhere; not sure how I'd pinpoint something like that, though.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                3Dflow Staff
                • Oct 2013

I think you might have changed only the global system variables, which were overridden by the user variables. Please make sure to change both TMP and TEMP in the "User variables for [your username]" section. This should do the trick.

Random picture from the internet:

[img src="http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2vhJAPm7CgU/StTe_UDAgmI/AAAAAAAAEGo/A6c5O7xSzjo/Temp%201%20x.jpg" alt=""]

On a related note, our technical director confirmed that we will add the option to set the temporary directory within Zephyr in the next version to avoid confusion and having to do this workaround.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                  3Dflow Staff
                  • Oct 2013

New beta out! It's now possible from the options menu to specify the directory for the temporary files. Stable release should be out soon as well!

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...