• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemmuel
    3Dfollower
    • Sep 2018

Turntable problem!!!

Hi guys!

I have this toy gun object that i'm using to make a 3d model. I'm using turntable. I got more or less 80 pictures. And when i start to reconstruct the images, only half of the gun is shown. The other images is not accepted. I also try to mask the image but same result. Only half of the side of the gun is shown. Please help.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Lemmuel,

any chance you could share the dataset with us? If the toy gun is made of uniform plastic it's a known problem for photogrammetry, so you'll have to use some tricks (dirtying the surface for example).

If the object is textured instead, maybe you simply need more images to connect front and back. Regardless, if you could share the images I can be more helpful

Comment

• Lemmuel
      3Dfollower
      • Sep 2018

Hi andrea!

Thanks for the response.

I've already done making some markers on the surface and it worked without masking. All the sides are done. But now my problem is, it doesn't get bottom part of the gun.

Comment

• Lemmuel
        3Dfollower
        • Sep 2018

These are some samples of my images. I have 100+ more. I used a tape and a cent as my markers and it works well without masking. Any tips on how to merge the bottom part? Thanks!

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
          3Dflow Staff
          • Oct 2013

Hi Lemmuel,

you need to mask at least the bottom part ( from 20180910_150525_frame00015.png onwards). However, i highly enocourage you to also mask the first part ( from 20180910_130849_frame00000.png to 20180910_130849_frame00093.png ) otherwise the turntable will be creating a lot of noise.

Can you send me the masks as well so i can see if you can get something out of them or if you need to redo them?

Anyways, as it is full plastic, it's going to be a little hard. You can still probably salvage this dataset, but i would also consider reshooting the dataset with a uniform white background and a more diffused lighting setup (to avoid highlights). More importantly, try to dirty the pistol a bit (e.g. with powder / dust or scratching it if it's not an issue ).

Here is a turntable specific tutorial that goes more in depth in turntable-specific scenarios https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...for-turntable/

Comment

• Lemmuel
            3Dfollower
            • Sep 2018

Hi andrea!

I just take a new set of pictures and put on some powder in a pistol. Added some lights. And it works perfectly fine. Just sayin'

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Working...