• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam3d
    3Dflourished
    • Feb 2018

Exported Meshes Not Aligned after import to Blender

Hi

I import a textured mesh into Blender along with a decimated low poly copy, which is no problem but they do not align; is this to be expected or have i made a mistake somewhere?

They are in alignment in Zephyr and I used matching export settings.

[Zephyr Lite 4.008]

Thanks
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi sam, coordinates for the same structured objects are the same in export so they must align. So if you didn't move anything between the two export, on top of my head, the only way for this to happen in Lite edition is that exported the first one, then exported the second one and also selected "local rendering reference system"

Comment

• sam3d
      3Dflourished
      • Feb 2018

Hi Andrea

I exported both meshes without moving anything and using the same settings with Local Rendering Ref System ticked for both.

I've attached a few screen shots to show what i'm seeing in Zephyr & Blender.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

That's odd, can you share zep and/or the exported models with me? this way i can investigate a little bit more easily!

Comment

• sam3d
          3Dflourished
          • Feb 2018

Sure. The Zep file is 600mb though and my upload is really slow at work.

I can wetransfer the exports and Zep file separately if you want to PM the address?

Thanks

Sam

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
            3Dflow Staff
            • Oct 2013

Sure, that works i'll pm you my email address

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

Actually my bad - it's not odd, it's working as expected: when exporting in a local rendering system, the centroid gets recomputed - and since your vertices are slightly different (one being high poly and the other one being low poly) the centroid is slightly different, thus creating this offset.

Simply export it in their zephyr reference system to keep them aligned - even in free/lite you can use the gizmo to move it if you'd like to have them at a certain origin point.

Sorry for the confusion!

Comment

• sam3d
                3Dflourished
                • Feb 2018

Fantastic, thanks Andrea! It also solves the scaling being huge after export [500x], which i was going to ask you about next. Now it appears to be 1:1

One more issue though; can you explain how the origin/pivot point is managed because the imported meshes are ~20 units below the grid in Blender? Before / after screenshots attached.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                  3Dflow Staff
                  • Oct 2013

most likely you moved it around which is why you see it offset in blender. A quick way to define the origin is to use the up vector straightening tools (personally i like the one where you define a triangle) where the origin will be placed in the middle of the mesh, or you can do it manually with the gizmo (but takes quite some time). Another way is to use the control points, but that requires pro/aerial

Comment

Working...