• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kitaura Hiromi
    3Dflower
    • Oct 2018

More detailed mesh

Hi Forums.

I'm trying to Mesh Extraction from Dense Point Clouds, which is Insect and have thin legs (Fig. 1).
    I set Surface/Sharp 1 (to use edge-preserving algorithm Sasha) and raise PCHighFrequencies.
    But for all that, I got poor result (Fig. 2).
    I need detailed mesh whose legs are divided with each other and sharpen.

Is there any advice?
    Thanks.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hello Kitaura Hiromi,

i see some noise in the mesh that doesn't seem to be there in the dense cloud. Are you sure you're using the correct input dense cloud for mesh generation ?

If so, any chance you could share the dataset for further analysis?

Thank you

Comment

• Kitaura Hiromi
      3Dflower
      • Oct 2018

Hello Andrea Alessi,

Thank you for reply.
      My dataset includes surrounding environment (eg. floor, wall, etc) and it was trimmed in uploaded pictures.

I share my dataset and result.

I'm trying to tune parameters but still fail.

Thank you

Comment

• cam3d
        3Dflover
        • Sep 2017

Hi Kitaura - You probably want to avoid the high frequency filter because it will overshoot the mark on ultra-thin geometry - High frequency is 'fake-data' which gives the illusion of more detail on appropriate mesh surfaces. Downloading the set now to check it out and give more feedback

Comment

• cam3d
          3Dflover
          • Sep 2017

Hi again - Opened up your zep and there are a few things straight away - You used the 'Fast' preset and as a result have clusters of photographs which aren't contributing to the overall model - Using custom settings you'll be able to tweak this - I'd recommend using 'accurate' alignment and maybe trying 'un-ordered' matching (these are in the advanced options when you're setting up the alignment)

Also it looked like you're shooting handheld - using a tripod will give you sharper images - you can adjust the shutter speed to be a bit slower when you're using a tripod because the camera will remain static - this will give you more flexibility in your other camera settings.

Last quick tip - You can strip away the white floating points using the select by colour function, eliminating excess data which does not contribute to the actual form of the bug

Comment

• Kitaura Hiromi
            3Dflower
            • Oct 2018

Long time no see, Forums

I succeeded in creating detailed mesh of the insect specimen.
            So, I just want to share the points.

"EdgeLengthTrimScale" was the most important.
            When this parameter was set low, longer edges were trimmed and detailed mesh was created.
            However another problem occurred.
            I got "half model" which lacks front side or back side (due to the lack of density of point cloud. This needs another parameter tuning in generating dense point cloud? )
            Then I merged both side using Meshlab and finally I was able to create complete detailed mesh.

Long-armed scarab Female (Cheirotonus peracanus) with high density mesh without UV. This is created from my real specimen. blog: http://aleutian1507.net/ - [WITHOUT UV] Long-armed scarab Female - 3D model by engine_moth

Thanks
            Kitaura

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

Hi Kitaura,

not bad! Did you also try a textured mesh?

As for the two halves it's hard to tell without looking at the photos (the link you shared only have the .zep). Most likely you do not have enough photos covering the "path" from bottom half to top half. You can still probably fix it via control points in zephyr pro/aerial or by tuning some parameters, but i would need the photos in order to help you with that.

Comment

• cam3d
                3Dflover
                • Sep 2017

Great to see you made progress Kitaura! - As Andrea said, in 3DF Zephyr Pro you can probably fix the alignment - and once that alignment is fixed, you'll be able to easily generate a texture map which covers both halves. Do you have any other specimens?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎