• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardless2
    3Dfollower
    • Oct 2018

Recommended Settings

Hi,

I have recently got into photogrammetry, and would like to build a reconstruction of the exterior of my car using your software.

For this object, the fact it has smooth curves in places but also sharp edges in others, what would be the recommended settings for the most accurate end result (fyi I dont care about computation time, just accuracy / the best reconstruction)

e.g.

> Urban or Close Range?
    > Is there any downside (other than computation speed) to not selecting "default" in all the wizards and choosing "high" in the presets? Perhaps there are better custom settings you can recommend for a car?
    > I have read all the user guides for best camera settings for the photos, are these still applicable to an object such a car bodywork or would you change any for this type of reconstruction?

Thanks for a great application, and thanks in advance for any pointers you can give.

• cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi Beardless2 -

When it comes to scanning cars it's all about the surface preparation and the photos taken rather than which presets you use in the 3DF Zephyr software.

Cars are normally shiny, have glass elements and homogeneous surfaces with very few reference points to align with. If you drive your car along a muddy/dusty track you will have a much easier time with reconstruction than if it was spotless. Rust is also great but a lot harder to remove than dust.

Camera settings are dependent on a few variables - if you let me know which camera you have and which lenses you have available to choose from I can give you some feedback on that

Comment

• beardless2
      3Dfollower
      • Oct 2018

Hi Cam3D,

Thanks for the reply - its a Canon EOS-1D X that I borrowed from a friend.

I am considering purchasing one myself - is there a camera and lense setup you can recommend that is even better than the above?

Comment

• cam3d
        3Dflover
        • Sep 2017

The original EOS-1D X is a great camera! It being a full frame sensor is a major bonus. The mpx count is a bit lower than most full frame bodies but don't let that put you off - well utilized mpx are always better than lots of redundant ones! - I'd recommend pairing that body with a 24mm Sigma Art Lens - Prime lenses are preferred over Zoom lenses because they have less lens elements moving around so are more consistently pin sharp.

Your shoot will be using sunlight I guess? - Try pick a cloudy, bright and still day. - If there are moving clouds the illumination will vary between shots, you want to try and avoid having differently exposed shots.

Here's a handy DOF calculator: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...calculator.htm

Choosing gear comes down to personal preference (and budget) - I use a 6D Mark 2 and different lenses for different jobs - I spend my remaining money on lights, batteries and computer processing power!

Comment

Working...