X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomkit
    3Dflower
    • Oct 2018

Best method for isolating subject?

I'm trying to cleanly isolate my small 3D subject (a few centimeters in size).

On the "Dense Point Cloud" I've tried cleaning via (1) RGB (2) Select By Plane (3) Plane Fitting. On the "Meshes" I've tried "Manual Selection" and cleaning by "Polyline". However, none of these techniques allow a super clean isolation of the 3D subject.

-When I clean up points in the "Dense Point Cloud" and generate a mesh it causes some vertices to be interpolated when there are holes in the mesh. This creates unwanted artifacts on the subject. (See interpolated.png)
    -When I use "Manual Selection" on "Meshes" it causes jagged lines on the border of the 3D subject and background that I want removed. (See jagged.png)

I've tried taking photographs against both grid backgrounds (see grid.jpg) and green screen backgrounds.

Does anyone have tips on how to better isolate the subject more cleanly?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tomkit; 2018-10-28, 04:49 AM.
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi Tomkit - I think the best thing to do here would be to shoot with a white background, and use masks to strip away the background using 3DF Masquerade. I wrote a little tutorial on this:

https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...for-turntable/ - Have a read over it and try and apply some of these principles - It's always easier to work with clean data, rather than try and cleanup in post.

Capturing as many sides of the object as possible will help eliminate extrapolated polygons because 3DF Zephyr will have more data to work from! Ideally you'd capture the whole thing but that can be a bit tricky. Worth it though!

Comment

• PSBDave
      3Dflower
      • Nov 2018

I would have thought that some mesh cleanup in a third party mesh editor is inevitable - at least to clean up ragged bottoms and what not. Regardless, it is a good skill to have. I use Blender, which is free and, although it looks intimidating, is incredibly capable and well supported by excellent documentation and many tutorials geared to many levels of competence. Many people also use Meshlab (also free).

Comment

Working...