• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rassalas
    3Dflower
    • Aug 2015

Structure Study Data

Hi all,
    I'm writing because I'm trying to recreate a 3d representation of a bell tower I photographed. I photographed the tower using a 3D Robotics Solo UAV.
    with a programmed flight using the android tower app.
    The program was, in brief, to orbit the bell tower with a radius of 25 meters, at ten different heights, with a step of 5 meters between steps.
    Starting altitude of 10 meters, after 10x5 steps program tops out at 60 meters.
    Slightly taller than the height of the bell tower.

I used a GoPro Hero4 Silver. With video set at 1080p 30 fps, as well as one 8k photo every five seconds.

The entire mission went off without a hitch, beautiful orbit really close on centered on the structure, tons of great photos.
    I tried to load them in for processing. What I got looked sort of like a blocky tornado, instead of the bell tower, not sure if there's a way to share the resulting image here, but it
    don't look right for some reason.

I'm wondering if it's what or how I'm doing that's creating the tornado?
    Anyone have experience creating 3d models out images created using Structure study waypoints in Tower missions?
    to clarify structure study is a sort of orbital pattern of aerial inspection with increasing altitude every orbit.

Any case, my first attempt looked like the tazmanian devil with my belltower for texture.

Suggestions, pointers welcome.
  • Giacomo
    3Dflow Staff
    • Nov 2014

Hi Rassalas,

there is the need to get some further details about your work:

- how many pictures have you taken?

- video with a 1080p resolution produces 1920x1080 (about 2 Megapixel), so what do you mean when you talk about 8K photos?

- which settings have you picked in Zephyr?

Comment

• rassalas
      3Dflower
      • Aug 2015

Hi Giacomo,
      I captured 109 photos during the orbit.
      The camera was capturing both 1080p video and photos one every 5 seconds. The photos were 3008x1692 maybe 8k isn't right, should've said 5 Megapixels
      So far I've only tried to use the photos in Zephyr.
      I just used the default settings when I loaded the photos in.
      Thanks for your interest!

Comment

• Giacomo
        3Dflow Staff
        • Nov 2014

Hi Rassalas,

if you wish you can forward me your dataset via Wetransfer (giacomo.vianini@3dflow.net).

Meanwhile you can try the latest beta version of Zephyr, available here: https://www.3dflow.net/download/3df-zephyr-pro-beta/

I hope to be helpful

Giacomo

Comment

• rassalas
          3Dflower
          • Aug 2015

Giacomo
          Thanks, I've uploaded the photos to wetransfer, and I think I've shared them with you, let me know if not.
          Also I am downloading the beta, will try that out a little later today.
          rassalas

Comment

• rassalas
            3Dflower
            • Aug 2015

Ok I tried it again, I noticed there was an option for ariel during the photo input process.
            I selected that, hoping for an improvement.
            Unfortunately no improvement. As I said it looks like a tower textured tornado.
            image link below.
            Thanks for your interest.

failed tower 3d Gen

Comment

• Giacomo
              3Dflow Staff
              • Nov 2014

Comment

• Giacomo
                3Dflow Staff
                • Nov 2014

Hi Rassalas,

if you send me (giacomo.vianini@3dflow.net) your email address I will forward you some material.

Best

Giacomo

Comment

• rassalas
                  3Dflower
                  • Aug 2015

Giacomo,
                  Hi, great! I'm interested to see, You can email me at bcasey@a2aphoto.com
                  Thank you
                  rassalas

Comment

Working...