X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wafkt
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • Nov 2018

Leica BLK360

Last edited by wafkt; 2018-11-24, 04:45 PM.
  • wafkt
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • Nov 2018

I think I solved my own issue. When I import a .pts file it's a single unstructured point cloud, so I can't perform registration in 3DF Zephyr because a minimum of 2 objects is necessary. As mentioned in my initial post, the registration of multiple scan locations was previously performed in Autodesk ReCap Pro. However, I noticed that when I import the .e57 file exported from Autodesk ReCap Pro, it appears as multiple unstructured point clouds, so I was able to register them. Although the result appeared to have dropped a lot of detail. I was then able to "Make Structured" the multiple point clouds, merged them, and then create a mesh.

The Leica BLK360 is controlled with an iPad Pro using the Autodesk ReCap mobile app, which can register the scan and then the .rpc file is transferred to a PC using iTunes for further cleanup in Autodesk ReCap Pro desktop app. I also have a separate BLK360 app for iPad that I haven't used yet, but I presume does essentially the same thing as the Autodesk ReCap mobile app, but just designed to remain in the Leica ecosystem. My next scan I will attempt to use that app and perform alignment and registration with 3DF Zephyr to determine if there's much difference in the end product.
    Last edited by wafkt; 2018-11-24, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
      3Dflow Staff
      • Oct 2013

Hi wafkt,

the pts format does not embed any camera information. In order to make a point cloud "structured", you need to have camera positions in the workspace.

The .e57 format indeed allows to embed camera information - if you noticed, when you make one structured, the bubbleview (the equirectangular, spherical image associated with the scan) gets decomposed into the sides of a cube and their respective cameras which is why you were able to make them structured.

You can make structured even 1 single scan, provided you have either a) images and a photogrammetric workspace made with thos images b) images extracted from the embedded view of the file you're importing.

As for the detail loss, zephyr caps the maximum amount of points from each import. You can change that setting if that doesn't work for you / your scans.

As a final note, we try to support as many formats as we can. Unfortunately leica won't allow free redistribution of a plugin to natively read their format, so rather than charging you for a plugin, we simply do not support their format - i would suggest exporting in .e57 format in your case.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions!

Comment

Working...