X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweetberry_jim
    3Dflower
    • Dec 2018

How to capture portraits

Ive tried quite a few times now to capture a portrait - i.e. a live human head (a very still one) but always get useless results. The images are good, i can understand why hair would be a problem but why doesn't skin work, i'd have thought it would be a perfect texture. Anyone had any luck or got some tips?

Jim
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

hi Jim,

if the images are good and the subject is still there shouldn't be any issue. Maybe light is reflecting too much on the skin? Any chance you could share the photos with us?

Comment

• sweetberry_jim
      3Dflower
      • Dec 2018

Thanks Andrea, I've tried a few times now - think the pics are pretty good although with a standard room background. Here is an example. weirdly, in this particular set, it liked one side of her face but not the other.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi Jim,

hard to tell with one photo only - can you share the full dataset? If it's sensitive you can send it to me privately or i can alternatively open up a sharing space on our shared server for you.

Comment

• sweetberry_jim
          3Dflower
          • Dec 2018

Hi Andrea,
          here is a link containing one of the sets of photos - be interested in any tips you can provide.

Jim

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
            3Dflow Staff
            • Oct 2013

Hi Jim,

I had a quick look at your dataset.

The first thing i'd try is to go outside to take the images - indoor shooting is much harder and lighting changes dramatically over the shots. It tooks 6 minutes to do the shooting, so unfortunately the subject have done some movements.

I understand a photo rig is expensive and not always an option - what i suggest is trying using a video rather than photos in this specific scenario, as you'll be able to acquire the dataset much faster. There is a very good tutorial over here https://3dscanexpert.com/free-3d-sca...eo-smartphone/

Comment

• sweetberry_jim
              3Dflower
              • Dec 2018

Hi Andrea,
              I've now acquired a camera which can do rapid shot images or 4k video so I will give this a try outside and report back. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Comment

• AvionAvionics
                3Dflourished
                • Nov 2017

sweetberry_jim if you get a good result could you post a couple pics here, would love to see the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎