X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarlW
    3Dfollower
    • Dec 2018

Lens selection

I have a Pentax DSLR. I currently do not have a 50 mm Prime lens that I have heard is recommended. I do have a 100mm macro, and an 18-135 zoom. Would it be better to use the fixxed 100mm, or set the zoom to around 50mm and leave it. I am familiar with the lens distortion issues. Are there suggestions of how to compensate if the lenses I use are not listed?
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi Carl -

I'd say that you can use either lens depending on your needs, though if you're using between 80-120mm on the zoom, it would be my inclination to switch to the 100mm prime.

Prime lenses are typically sharper, as they normally have less optical elements and moving parts (unlike zooms, which are flexible, but sometimes lack consistency of sharpness).

Experiment with different focal lengths, sometimes you need 24mm for interiors, sometimes 50mm is just fine. I recommend you tape your zoom in place once you have a focal length which works for the project at hand - This helps to keep everything in place - sometimes those zoom rings are a bit loose, and you want to minimise the amount of focal length mixing you do per project.

You can use the 3DF Zephyr Lens calibration tool if your lens is exotic (or dumb - aka no metadata). Can be found in the menu bar under: Utilities>Images>Launch Camera Calibration.

Hope this helps!

- Cam

Comment

Working...