4.300 to 4.302 update, will it stop working?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHNGREG
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • Jan 2019

4.300 to 4.302 update, will it stop working?

New to 3DF-Zephyr-Free, so be gentle!

I am configuring an install of 3DF-Zephyr-Free, for others to use. I had installed the 4.300 version prior to Xmas and it seemed to be working. This application is now getting a prompt to upgrade to 4.302.

Of more concern is that if I try to cancel the update it says:

" 3DF-Zephyr-Free must be updated to the latest version in order to run. Please update Zephyr within the next 7 days".

So will it actually stop working?

I get that people do need to install updates, is this a more agressive tatic to get people to actually do it?

If the app will prompt for updates at random points and stop working if not updated within 7 days then, I may not install it. The people using it will not have admin rifghts to update themselves and the risk of it stopping at a relative short time period is not a good one.

Cheers
    John
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi John,

welcome! Don't worry, all questions are welcome!

Before 4.3 we would require mandatory updates as soon as a new version is out. We added a grace period of a week so labs can schedule their upgrades in a reasonable time.

Please note that Lite, Pro, Aerial and education do not have a mandatory upgrade schedule, only the free version does.I strongly suggest you always update, usually we have a major release (in this case, 4.300) and following that, a few minor fixes that address critical bugs (in this case we had shortly followed 4.301 and shortly after 4.302). When the latest bugfixes are made, there shouldn't be updates until the next major release (usually between 2 and 4 months).

So, yes, you can defer the update safely, but remember that after 1 week, zephyr will not work until you update.

Cheers!

Comment

• JOHNGREG
      Blossoming 3Dflower
      • Jan 2019

Andrea

Ok then, give the recent release of 4.302, when is the next scheduled update for 3DF-Zephyr-Free?

From this I can work out if short term usage of 4.302, for a particular piece of work will ok and then buy licences, or if I need to do the later now.

Cheers
      John

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi John,

all zephyr versions have the same schedule. So when the next release is ready (e.g. 4.4 ) also zephyr free will have it.

There isn't current a fixed release date. However, usually we first have a beta period (2 weeks or so) and we're not in beta yet. So i'd say at least 6-7 weeks from now.

Comment

Working...