X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victor Ramamoorthy
    3Dflourished
    • Jan 2019

Problem with regular grid spacing and saving as .obj file

I did decimation of the dense cloud of my jewel box to just 300 vertices and rearranged into regular grid pattern. I don't know how to save the vertices alone in a file. But then generated mesh. When I store the mesh, it saves only the dense cloud, but not the low resolution version in regular grid pattern. That is a problem.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

It seems like you only need the vertices. In that case, you need to export the dense point cloud.

The dense point cloud export feature is available only in 3DF Zephyr Pro and 3DF Zephry Aerial.

Comment

• Victor Ramamoorthy
      3Dflourished
      • Jan 2019

Thanks! Hopefully you can give this option to lite version also in the next revision.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi Victor,

unfortunately, point cloud exporting will only be an exclusive for pro and aerial. I can create a trial for you if you wish to try it out

Comment

• Victor Ramamoorthy
          3Dflourished
          • Jan 2019

Definitely! I would greatly appreciate that help! Suppose I store dense mesh as .obj file and subs ample the vertices in a regular grid, will that work? Perhaps I need to look at nearest neighboring vertices, calculate the slope at the regularly spaced grids. If you can help me out, I would very very grateful to you.

Comment

• Victor Ramamoorthy
            3Dflourished
            • Jan 2019

I mean from irregular vertice grid to regular grid spacing may require interpolation just as it is done in single dimension.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

No, the regular grid is only for dense point clouds, as it is often used in topography.

Mesh generation will use other information and is not a simple "connect the vertices" algorithm. I can send you the trial for zephyr pro, so you can export the regular grid dense cloud. however, you'll have to do your own post processing elsewhere, most likely. I'll send you the trial key via email at the address you used to signup for the forum.

Comment

• Victor Ramamoorthy
                3Dflourished
                • Jan 2019

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, so much!

Comment

• Victor Ramamoorthy
                  3Dflourished
                  • Jan 2019

Another question: When I generate mesh, why is the regular grid structure destroyed? Is there any reason to go for arbitrarily spaced vertices? Is it because you are minimizing faces to bigger polygons?

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                    3Dflow Staff
                    • Oct 2013

The meshing algorithm is much more complex than you think - visibility, photoconsistency, etc all bring a role in improving the geometry of the scene, as zephyr leverages all the camera information. The regular grid filter has been designed for the topography market - that type of customer simply needs the dense point cloud. If you need a mesh, you should not use the regular grid filter, but most likely generate a mesh and eventually retopologize it at a later stage.

Comment

Working...