• Show
Clear All
  • vicolodo
    3Dflower
    • Feb 2019

chair without legs, why

Hello,

i like a lot 3dzephyr but sometimes i get results that discourage me

i use 3dzephyr free and my smartphone huawei p8 max, that has a 12mpix good quality camera

yesterday evening i did a try, taking 50 snapshots of a chair and processing them with 3dzephyr

i selected 'fast project' processing, with default settings
    and after i retried with 'deep' sparse cloud creation and 'high details' dense point cloud creation

i thought to get good results because the chair is a static subject, and it was placed in a place with backgroud and ground rich of details to be get as reference points by the program

BUT the results were not good: whole legs, or part of legs were missing , and big holes were present in the final mesh:

example dense point cloud:
    chair

example mesh:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-21.png
Views:	222
Size:	767.7 KB
ID:	4596

This is the set of photos:

example photo:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-22.png
Views:	270
Size:	803.1 KB
ID:	4597

As you can see in the final 3dzephyr screenshots, all the photos were matched, the program did not discard any of them,
    but the results are not good.

why?

i wonder if it is mainly a camera problem or an illumination problem or a subjet problem
    do you think that with a good canon dslr i could get better results?

thank you!

• cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi Vicolodo,

I believe it is simply that the plastic surface of the chair has very few features and as a result is difficult to reconstruct with such few images and a phone camera. Your images have all aligned perfectly because the floor beneath the chair is the IDEAL surface for image matching, it is covered in lots of lovely random features which make alignment much easier.

If you use a DSLR and a tripod you can dial in the camera settings to get optimal sharpness on the subject which will result in a far superior reconstruction

Setting suggestions: LOW iso (under 200), high F-stop (F/11-16), Shutterspeed variable if using a tripod (try and trigger camera remotely or with a 2second timer to avoid shaking the image accidently)

Hope this has helped somewhat! - Let me know if you have DSLR questions

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍