X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gocarter
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • Aug 2018

data projector patterns

Hello. I have a question about using a projector to create a pattern on my subject. Would this increase the accuracy of my models? Or cut down on rendering time? I am using models in 3d printing, so colour is not a consideration. I want as detailed models as possible. I am doing human sized models.
    Does the projected pattern have to be anything specific? Do multiple projectos need to be used?
    Thanks for feedback.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi gocarter,

if your subject is already well textured (e.g. a rock) then most likely you won't get any improvement using a projector.

However when dealing with uniform surfaces using projected pattern will indeed help you creating a better model. You can use multiple projectors if you need (it really depends on the shape of the object). You should user any random pattern (e.g. the one shown here at 4:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06k...ature=youtu.be ) - avoid repeated patterns or that will actually make things harder.

I would still take two pictures (so a tripod is mandatory in this case) with projector on and off, and use the projected pattern photos for sparse and dense, then switch to images with no-projector on for the mesh. Even if you don't need color, in some cases the projected pattern may create some artifacts for fake details when on a completely plain and flat surface. Your mileage may vary on shape and color.

The thing you'll always have to keep in mind is that the projected pattern (and the object) must never move (or they must move coherently) - be careful because pressing on/off on the projector may be enough to move it even 1mm and make your dataset actually worse - for that, i suggest using a remote.

As for your other question, no, it will not reduce computation times.

Comment

Working...