X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vheanom
    3Dflower
    • Apr 2019

huge chunks gone missing dense point cloud

hello! I downloaded the 14 day trial as I'm thinking of buying the program, and I want the option to create more detailed models with more photos.

I'm recreating a workshop. 3D zephyr accepted 260/263 photos, and my sparse point cloud looks absolutely fine. You can make out the wall and the tools and curtains.

However it seems like there's a huge square that cuts out 1/3 of the room when I create the dense point cloud. At first I figured I ran out of memory in the cache and that I couldn't generate enough points, but after starting over after changing cache location and increasing the amount of points, I got a simular result, however the huge gaping holes are simular, as they were extremely straight.

Any ideas what's going on here?

• Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Vheanom,

it's hard to tell from the screenshot, but it seems like the points gets invalidated (wrong cameras?) during the dense generation.

Can you post your log file and eventually share the zep file and photos ?

Comment

• Vheanom
      3Dflower
      • Apr 2019

I'm unsure if there's a log that's saved somewhere, as I've closed the program since I made the dense point cloud,

Here's a download link for the zep file and photos!

Edit: link will expire at some point, poke me if you went on weekend. Trying to look into it again on my side, will keep you posted.
      Last edited by Vheanom; 2019-04-05, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Vheanom
        3Dflower
        • Apr 2019

After some looking into things on my end it seems that my computer had a memory leak that disrupted the dense point cloud generation... a simple reboot and then doing the dense point cloud seem to have fixed it.

Thanks for your swift reponse Anyways Andrea, it's really appreciated!

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
          3Dflow Staff
          • Oct 2013

Hi Vheanom,

sorry for the late reply, as you suspected yes, i went into weekend mode

Make sure to run memtest if you're having those odd issues then! Cheers!

Comment

• sweetberry_jim
            3Dflower
            • Dec 2018

Hello Andrea, I'm using the latest beta (may not be relevant) and have had a very similar issue. When I used the HIgh detail option for the dense cloud point - half of the object is missing. Logs don't seem to show any issues. What am I doing wrong? No such problem when using the default setting.
            Logs, images and zep file are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mz...hZSFfMdemYo2z6

Be interested in your thoughts.
            Jim Johnson

Comment

• Roberto
              3Dflow
              • Jun 2011

Thanks for sharing the dataset! We are investigating on the issue. Meanwhile, you can switch to custom settings and switch "UseTiles" to "0" to solve the issue.
              I'll keep you posted on the solution of the problem.

Comment

• sweetberry_jim
                3Dflower
                • Dec 2018

OK, I re-ran with UseTiles set to 0 and got a result.

A supplementary question - for an object like this, would I be better getting closer to the subject? If so, the whole object would not always be in view. Is closer better?

Jim

Comment

• cam3d
                  3Dflover
                  • Sep 2017

Closer will resolve a higher level of detail, you just need to make sure you have enough overlap. Closer also means more images and longer processing time, so it's a balance - how much detail do you NEED?

Comment

• sweetberry_jim
                    3Dflower
                    • Dec 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	mesh.png
Views:	529
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	5242 Well, in this case I wasn't happy with the detail of the sails. Would have been better is there was more detail on those. I guess I could just get closer to those areas. If I were to do a full sweep of the entire windmill as I did and then go in for more detail on certain areas, would that meet the overlap requirements?

Jim
                    Last edited by sweetberry_jim; 2019-06-27, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• cam3d
                      3Dflover
                      • Sep 2017

As long as there isn't too much of a job forwards - It might be good to do multiple passes moving incrementally closer - This way you are more likely to meet the overlap requirements

Comment

• Roberto
                        3Dflow
                        • Jun 2011

As an additional hint: please use photos instead of videos if possible (quality is usually better)

We have fixed the missing chunk issue in the latest beta (no need to disable multi-tile anymore). Thanks!

Comment

• Mostlydead
                          Blossoming 3Dflower
                          • Jul 2019

I am having a similar issue with a very simple structure. I am using Lite V 4.501. I have taken several sets of photos with varying and contrasting backgrounds, run the construction with and without masks, tried default settings both general and close range, used advanced settings with 100% resolution and even tried UseTiles set to 0. All have similar results. All of the cameras seem to be used and positioned properly but only the base of the protruding spikes that I am trying to construct get built. The top portion is either missing or just bits and pieces show. I have done similar construction using older versions without this much trouble. I am going to revert to an older version to see if I can get through this simple project but would like some help getting the latest to work properly. I have uploaded my most recent attempt using close shots and default general settings with log and photos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jW...nRn0xj2EI9a21G

Comment

• cam3d
                            3Dflover
                            • Sep 2017

Hey Mostlydead - The simply structures can be the most difficult to capture.

From the looks of things, there are hardly any features on your protruding spikes at all (Looks a bit like candle wax which has strong subsurface scatter). If you have any fine pepper you should try sprinkling that onto your subject - You will see much better geometry results with a feature rich surface.

The other thing I noticed with your images is that you're shooting at iso800. On an already tricky surface, you're going to need to find a way to bring that down to as low as possible - either with long shutter speeds on a tripod or with bright lights.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎