• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artsomnia.art
    3Dfollower
    • May 2019

exporting - external mesh cleaning - importing back issues

Hello everyone!

Some help would be really welcome, I'm lost a bit...
    (background: I just arrived to test Zephyr, I used RC prior, so it could be that my issue is based on the lack of knowladge due to some core tools)

I'm testing Zephyr "Clemntine" beta version right now.

alignment, point cloud/ dense point cloud, mesh construction, texturing all goes perfectlly, I recognised no issues beside some mesh structure anomaly, but I do not wanna focus on that right now, any way, I can fix it in no time externaly.

And here coms my issue:
    if I export the mesh for external cleaning, there is no way to import it back, at least not with the full cleaned up surface.

- I do not rotate or scale or move the mesh in my external tools.
    - if I want to import back JUST the mesh without self generated UV(s) Zephyr will import it as a dense point cloud and not as a mesh
    - the imported pointcloud already lose some information that I generated till the cleaning process
    - by constructing mesh from the importing pointcloud ignoring nearly all the cleaned parts and I end up with close the same broken mesh with holes and missing details as prior the cleaning process
    - if I want to import the cleaned mesh with UV(s) it handdles the import stage, but the texturing stage crashes 10/10
    - I tried to fix my mesh errors by filtered selections, but by selecting 3% of an 1mill mesh for applying a retopo stuckes in the process for an hour, so I simplly just shoot down the software (it should be like 2 min imo) quite the same scenario with every even filtered selection process.

- mesh cleaned in Zbrush
    - imported to netfabb for fixing every even mesh degeneration as shells, flipped normals....
    - imported to Houdini for triangulation and for UV generating

I would be really happy if anyone would be able to help me and point out that where I felled. Basically what I'm looking for: exporting mesh - cleaning in zbrush - importing back - testing the new normal and displacement content - decimation - texturing - sending to unreal and testing there the normal and the displacement map for dynamic tesselation. / or cleaning a mesh in zbrush, generating UV in Houdini, importing back to Zphyr and the same process from there as above.

Also an important question: since I realized that mesh without UV can be imported back just as point cloud, is it posible in Zephyr Lite? Or just in Area and Pro? Do Zephyr Lite can import just UV'ed (cleaned) mesh?

Thanks so much if anyone can help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.01 - 14.10.46.91.png
Views:	518
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	5125
    Attached Files
  • artsomnia.art
    3Dfollower
    • May 2019

I figured out a solution, but unfortunatelly I'm losing texture detail with the process. From the other hand I have the full benefit of free mesh transformation, and option for even drastic cleanup (resculpt) process:
    - Inside Zephyr generating: dense pointcloud, mesh and high rez texture
    - exporting the mesh to Zbrush (or what ever cleaning DCC tool that you prefer) and do cleaning FREELY no need to worrie about transformations, rotations...
    - generate an UV map for your cleaned mesh
    - project zephyr generated texture on the surface of your cleaned mesh by painting verts (basically polypaint)
    - generate color map on your self made UV by using polypaint information

But well, with this workaround we lose the nice, clean, highres texture projection of Zephyr, also we can not reach Clementin's new content as generating normal and displacement maps, since we will need to bake it externaly to our new UV by using a highres version of the cleaned mesh (with this workaround there is no turning back to smuggle our cleaned mesh once again back to Zephyr)

So I still hope that my issue will find a solution, even if I found out a solution, it's external and I would love to use Zephyr's generated UVs but atleast it's texture projection and normal/displacement baking option on my cleaned mesh.

Comment

• Roberto
      3Dflow
      • Jun 2011

Hello,

It's definitely possible to import back a mesh without uv maps(also in the lite version). Maybe there is a problem with the specific format in Clementine, can you please send a file sample at support@3dflow.net? Meanwhile, can you please try to export from Houdini on other format?(e.g. fbx or ply)

We would gladly look also at the uv crash. It shouldn't happen of course, but it might be related to the same import problem. Unfortunately, to replicate the crash we would need also the zep project files and the photos I guess. If it's not a problem sharing them, you can send everything at support@3dflow.net. thanks!

???

Comment

• artsomnia.art
        3Dfollower
        • May 2019

Hello Roberto!

Thanks so much for joining the thread with a helping hand despite the weekend!

I will upload all the used RAW images in my beta test project, my zep project, my cleaned mesh variations to my google drive and send the link to you true the above shared mail

I tried to import OBJ and PLY, but I will make some tests today and will try other formats as fbx

a question: if I have any idea, feed back, I find a bug... should I share it at "road to Clementine" forum thread, or send it to you privately true support@3dflow.net ?

Keep up the good work! The mesh and texture resolution/ detail can rech sky high LVLs in Clementine! Basically the testing scenarios what I'm struggleing with are using bad scanned data where drastical cleaning is needed (hence test data )

Comment

• cam3d
          3Dflover
          • Sep 2017

artsomnia.art

Ideas might be better posted in the Feature Requests forum (https://www.3dflow.net/forums/forum/...ature-requests), bugs are best suited for support@3dflow.net & general feedback in the General Forum (here)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎