• Show
Clear All
  • Flow
    3Dfollower
    • Jul 2019

Mask loading issue

Hello guys !

A new strange thing here.

I had masked all my pictures in photoshop with the good name (_masked) and Zephyr loaded them perfectly.
    But I decided to upscale my picture sand tried 2 cases :

1-Pictures size x2, but masks stay at native size
    2-Pictures and masks size x2

In both cases, most of the masks are "not found" but few of them load correctly.

Any idea ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MASK-ISSUE-01.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	5357
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MASK-ISSUE-02.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	5358
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

I'm going to guess that it's not working because the resolution of the masks doesn't perfectly match the resolution of the new source images - can you double check that when you scaled x2 for both that they are exactly the same size? - Assuming that they are the same size, if you can share two images + two masks (one working one not) and we can inspect the files to see what the difference is

Ps. Have you tried masking in Masquerade? I find it a lot faster than Photoshop, but everyone has their own preference!

Comment

• cam3d
      3Dflover
      • Sep 2017

Oooh just a thought, it could also be the orientation of the images.

If you try flipping one of the masks to the opposite orientation and it fixes the issue, then it's a problem with orientation data in the original images not matching the orientation of the masks. This would explain why some of them work but most of them don't.

Comment

• Flow
        3Dfollower
        • Jul 2019

Exactly the same size and orientation.

Yesterday X2 didn't work, certainly because of I had a Photoshop process in parallel.
        Today, X2 load perfectly, but X4 load randomly.

I just send you some pictures in X2 and X4 with their masks in "we transfert", in of this reply to support@3dflow.net.
        Impossible to know which mask will work or not, because it's 100% random during loading process.

Masquerad is very cool but after some tests, I need perfect mask on this scene to avoid complicated cleaning after reconstruction.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
          3Dflow Staff
          • Oct 2013

Hi Flow,

I strongly suggest against upscaling photos. That will simply increase processing time with no benefit at all, so please feed Zephyr the images as they are taken from the device for best results.

Regardless, both the image and the masks must have the same resolution. I checked the files you sent us via wetransfer and all images loads correctly, both x2 and x4 (albeit x4 loads very, very slowly due to their homongus size)

Make sure you do not select the masks in the file list. You just need to select the photos and check the masking option. From your screenshot, it seems you're doing the photo selection correctly but i wanted to underline this aspect, just in case.

Please make sure you're feeding the correct images and masks - i think you may have simply fed the wrong masks to a certain set or viceversa.

The fact that some images worked one day and not the other makes me also suspect possible third party software that changed the exif data ?

Let me know!

Comment

• Flow
            3Dfollower
            • Jul 2019

Thanks for your returns.

Has I said before, mask resolution are perfectly the same than photos.
            I know there is no missmatch because I tried them all in native resolution and that work perfectly.
            I just duplicate and Upscale all the folder (mask+picture) and double check them all.

I obviously load only the picture in Zephyr, and check "mask box" has you can see on my previously screenshots.

Due to the random loading factor and the fact X4 works for you and not for me, this is certainly a third party task that lead to the issue, or an hardware problem.

Among my numerous tests, I tried to align camera and build the model from native size.
            Result is very good but only 3k res on final texture.
            I tried to replace native photos by X2 in the source folder and recompute only the texture, but Zephy keep original EXIF data, and consider the size of the pictures has'nt change, so the size of the final texture stay the same.

Unfortunatly, I absolutly need High res final texture, so I need to find a solution, whatever it is.
            3K isn't enough, I need 8K, whatever the way.

This morning, I tried to remake the full process (align cameras/buil model and texture) from X2 pictures that load correctly and obtain 6731x6731 ... better !!!

Keep you in touch.

Last edited by Flow; 2019-07-15, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

You can eventually upscale the texture to the closest power of two value (in your case, 8k) in export by checking the appropriate option.

Yes, indeed it may be that the mismatched exif data was the cause of the masks not being loaded. If you really must go that way, remove the exif data completely or fix them to the correct size.

Comment

• Flow
                3Dfollower
                • Jul 2019

Ok. Finaly, with X2 pictures and slecting some close up camera, I raise the so wanted 8K !
                Here is the process :

1-upscaling pictures with "Topaze Giga Pixel" (or other) x2 size
                (Unable to load x4 on my computer)
                2-upscaling masks at the exact same scale in Photoshop or "Topaz"
                3-decrease some parameter in Zephyr like matching camera precision and % of pictures used for meshing at 50
                4-eventually selecting some closer cameras and reject the most far ones to get an bigger average size on the final texture

The result is prety clean and I obtain 8K sharp and detailed textures.

Indeed, in my case I need more definition on the face than on the rest of the body.
                To do that, I shot more closer picture on the face than for the reste.
                When I open these close up of the face in photoshop, I get approximatively 4k pixel just on the area the face.

A good thing will be to let the user choose him self between 2 options.

I know that Zephyr allow to choose a definition at export time, but this is a bit dark option because the user don't even know if the software recompte a bigger res or just take the res the algorythme foud (3k for exemple) and just upscale it. The truth is that I think the second theory is the good one, and this is a useless otption in that case.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                  3Dflow Staff
                  • Oct 2013

rather than upscaling, I suggest you switch to advanced mode and raise the image resolution to 100% and checking the appropriate checkbox on export - with your workflow, you will not be able to leverage the online pre-calibration, you're slowing the computation a lot - that said, happy to hear that you find a workflow that works for you!

Comment

Working...