X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimInKY
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • Aug 2019

Rendering a "stick" model - help request

I have tried the demo version to model a model ship (example attached). It's about 35 inches long and 28 high. The first time I tried the demo software, I rotated the camera around the ship and it appeared to show promise, but it also captured my workbench. The next trial - many months later, after the ship was completed - I tried putting white paper in the background and rotated the ship on a turntable and kept the camera stationary. This test was done with a lot more care and attention to instructions, and no bench in the background. However, it appears that the software didn't like all the "sticks" so to speak (masts and yards). It made me think that the workbench (which was well rendered) may have helped the first test succeed where the second attempt resulted in a semi-jumbled pile of points.

Can someone educate me on what I may do to increase the chances of getting a good model that I can share. Do I need the full version so it can see more points? Is this simply the wrong application?

Otherwise, AWESOME software! Kudos.

Many Thanks,
    Jim in KY
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi JimInKY - You're right in thinking that the workbench helped in the first instance of scanning. As long as the boat and the workbench stay in the same position relative to themselves they will increase the number of helpful features which can be detected by Zephyr and aide in the orientation of those cameras (resulting in a better alignment and overall end result).

Because the masts etc are quite small I would recommend using a very high resolution DSLR or shooting additional close-up photos with a mid-range DSLR to resolve more detail.

All versions of Zephyr run on fundamentally the same core, with different versions allowing access to different specialty tools.

In this case, I think the easiest way to approach this model is on a wooden table which you can walk around, put it outside so there's more light and the camera has to work less (meaning less noise) - a bright yet cloudy day is ideal because the clouds diffuse the bright sunlight and somewhat eliminate shadows.

There are a lot of variables to consider - If you have any more specific questions list them and I (or someone else) will get back to you with some answers!

Comment

Working...