• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jordanmchavez
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • Jun 2020

Zephyr not picking up photos from second camera angle

Hello,

I'm trying to scan a small plastic miniature. I've taken two sets of 48 photos each using a lightbox and a turntable with a green-screened background. The first set is from a low-angle, the second set from a high angle. I can get zephyr to orient each *individual* set of 48 images, but if I try to align all 96 photos at once, only one set of 48 will align. I'm not sure what's causing this since, again, each 48-photo set will align individually. I can't seem to merge the two sets since I'm using the lite verison. I'm using full background masking on all images.

I've uploaded the photo set here for reference.: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sbjyrtxhn...glC66ObVa?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Jordan,

in most cases you'd probably be okay with this type of setup, however you are working with a difficult subject for two reasons:

- the surface is a uniform color, making keypoints less obvious to the software
    - the surface is very sensible to light, creating a lot of highlights as the subject moves, again not making things easy for zephyr

the issue here, is that for these two reasons there are not a lot of keypoints to work with, given the nature of the subject and the steep angle of the top loop compared to the angle of the lower loop. The solution is to have more overlap between the two loops.

I would tackle this in two ways to salvage this dataset easily:

- add a third loop, in between the top and the bottom loop you have already shot.

or

- create a "vertical" continuity so that it's easier for zephyr to understand how to "connect" the two loops. Basically, whenever you have to shoot the second loop, do not just increase the height of your tripod abruply, but do so in small increments so you can take 5/10 photos "vertically", then when you have reached your desired height for the second loop, start shooting it normally again.

It is probably easier to simply shoot a third loop (with height between the lower and top) and throw the new photos in.

As a final side note, i personally would suggest using a white background or black background, if the texture color is important, as a green backdrop will generally bleed some color in.

Comment

• jordanmchavez
      Blossoming 3Dflower
      • Jun 2020

Thanks Andrea, this helped. I reshot the model using two more closely-spaced orbits and it worked.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎