X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MMM1977
    3Dflower
    • Jan 2021

Moving objects after copy and paste

I am brand new to 3d scanning and editing. I purchased 3D Zephyr Lite. So far the program is great and has lots of applications. What I need most right now is how to move an object in the workspace. I was hoping to use this program to repair some plaster spires and then print the corrected product with a 3D printer. I used the copy from selection feature, but I need to take that copy and move it to a different area of the workspace. Is that possible?
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi and thank you for your purchase!

yes and no. Let me explain.

When you generate any element in zephyr from photos (sparse cloud, dense, mesh, mesh with texture) those 3D objects are tied to the cameras that generated them. 3DF zephyr reconstructs the geometry (the structure) from the motion of the camera, hence, the name "Structure From Motion" for the first phase of the process.

This means that all the objects you create from photos, initially are structured, which means they are tied to the camera position. You can right click the object in the object list in the left panel (e.g. Mesh 1) and select "make unstructured" if you want to move it.

This means you are uncoupling it from the photos. If you do that, and then compute a texture mesh on an unstructured mesh that has been, lets say, moved from its origin, then the camera projections will not yield what you may expect. But if you think about it, that's normal: you are projecting something and not finding the geometry that's supposed to be there.

Should you make them unstructured them then? It really depends on what you need to do.

I hope this helps!

cheers,
    Andrea

Comment

• MMM1977
      3Dflower
      • Jan 2021

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I am used to editing photos in Photoshop, but this is a whole new beast. What you say makes total sense. Going to experiment with that and see what I can come up with.

Comment

• MMM1977
        3Dflower
        • Jan 2021

The next question would be, after having unstructured an object, how would you go about moving that object?

Comment

• MMM1977
          3Dflower
          • Jan 2021

Also, how can I merge 2 different layers of textured mesh? If I right click the layers, the "merge" option is grayed out. Is this not available in 3D Zephyr lite?

Comment

• cam3d
            3Dflover
            • Sep 2017

MMM1977 You can use the gizmo to translate, rotate or scale your selected subject (activated by clicking the icon top left of this image

Click image for larger version  Name:	translateScaleRotate.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	7064

- On merging: You need to select both of them then right click to enable the merge function :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	mergeMe.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	7065

Comment

• MMM1977
              3Dflower
              • Jan 2021

Thank you again for the detailed help! It is very much appreciated.

Comment

• cam3d
                3Dflover
                • Sep 2017

No problem! Happy to help

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢