X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roger johnson
    3Dflourished
    • Nov 2020

filing holes2

Newbie : Thought I had this hole filling business licked...apparently not. !

Im starting a 3d zephyr session in zephyr free 5.016 and then importing an stl file eg the rosetta stone

this loads and displays fine but when I select filter then only fill holes selective is actve and choosing it seems to hang my pc ...

what gives?

TIA

• roger johnson
    3Dflourished
    • Nov 2020

is this likely to be the stl or something else? The stl is found at

The Rosetta Stone is a granodiorite stele inscribed with a decreeissued at Memphis, Egypt in 196 BC on behalf of King Ptolemy V. The decree appears in three scripts: the upper text is Ancient Egyptianhieroglyphs, the middle portion Demotic script, and the lowest Ancient Greek. Because it presents essentially the same text in all three scripts (with some minor differences among them), it provided the key to the modern understanding of Egyptian hieroglyphs. Although it is believed to have originally been displayed within atemple, possibly at nearby Sais, the stone was probably moved during the early Christian or medieval period and was eventually used as building material in the construction of Fort Julien near the town ofRashid (Rosetta) in the Nile Delta. It was rediscovered there in 1799 by a soldier, Pierre-François Bouchard, of the Napoleonic expedition to Egypt. As the first Ancient Egyptian bilingual text recovered in modern times, the Rosetta Stone aroused widespread public interest with its potential to decipher this hitherto untranslated ancient language. Lithographic copies and plaster casts began circulating among European museums and scholars. Meanwhile, British troopsdefeated the French in Egypt in 1801, and the original stone came into British possession under the Capitulation of Alexandria. Transported to London, it has been on public display at the British Museum since 1802. It is the most-visited object in the British Museum. Study of the decree was already under way as the first full translation of the Greek text appeared in 1803. It was 20 years, however, before the transliteration of the Egyptian scripts was announced by Jean-François Champollion in Paris in 1822; it took longer still before scholars were able to read Ancient Egyptian inscriptions and literature confidently. Major advances in the decoding were recognition that the stone offered three versions of the same text (1799); that the demotic text used phonetic characters to spell foreign names (1802); that the hieroglyphic text did so as well, and had pervasive similarities to the demotic (Thomas Young, 1814); and that, in addition to being used for foreign names, phonetic characters were also used to spell native Egyptian words (Champollion, 1822–1824). Ever since its rediscovery, the stone has been the focus of nationalist rivalries, including its transfer from French to British possession during the Napoleonic Wars, a long-running dispute over the relative value of Young and Champollion's contributions to the decipherment, and since 2003, demands for the stone's return to Egypt. Two other fragmentary copies of the same decree were discovered later, and several similar Egyptian bilingual or trilingual inscriptions are now known, including two slightly earlier Ptolemaic decrees (the Decree of Canopus in 238 BC, and the Memphis decree of Ptolemy IV, ca. 218 BC). The Rosetta Stone is, therefore, no longer unique, but it was the essential key to modern understanding of Ancient Egyptian literature and civilization. The term Rosetta Stone is now used in other contexts as the name for the essential clue to a new field of knowledge.     This object is part of "Scan The World". Scan the World is a non-profit initiative introduced by MyMiniFactory, through which we are creating a digital archive of fully 3D printable sculptures, artworks and landmarks from across the globe for the public to access for free. Scan the World is an open source, community effort, if you have interesting items around you and would like to contribute, email stw@myminifactory.com to find out how you can help. | Download free and paid 3D printable STL files

Comment

• roger johnson
      3Dflourished
      • Nov 2020

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi Roger,

the fill holes filter may take a long time depending on the nature of the mesh. The watertight filter requires that the mesh is structured.

It's a big mesh so it's normal it's taking a long time. Try decimating it eventually.

Comment

• roger johnson
          3Dflourished
          • Nov 2020

thanks for pointer. Ive tried the fill hole option with a smaller mesh eg one of the benchy stls ...

this is about 11mb compared to the rosetta at 71Mb and although very slow does eventually complete.

from what I understand the option to fill hole watertight is not an option I can apply because it is not "structured" ... I think.

im trying to crop the face of the rosetta stone as thin as i can, using the cut with bounding box to effectively decimate it but retain quality of scripts.

will let you know later if i succeed

Comment

• roger johnson
            3Dflourished
            • Nov 2020

I guess I expected the cut by plane and export function to work like meshmixer..

Pity 'cos the zephyr cut by plane function seems more useful

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

you can use the cut by plane or bounding box and then eventually fill holes again. To use the watertight yes, you will need to structure (which you can't, in lite) or use a structured dataset (meaning, originating from photos, which of course you can in lite). in any case zephyr is a photogrammetry software so the cleaning tools are basic, for advanced geometry cleanup you should use other software that is specialized for that, e.g. blender

Comment

• CG-Guy
                3Dflover
                • Apr 2018

Z-Brush can easily fill the holes and then you can do a remesh to get all quad geometry. Prob 30 day free trial.

Comment

Working...