X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robert langh
    3Dfollower
    • Jun 2021

calibrating wide angle cameras

I am trying to make street photogrammetry with fisheye cameras, and it would be good to know wether if it can be even better.
    In an older post it was mentioned, that with using the Control Points, we can improve the calibration of an action cam, like Sjcam sj6...
    (we have to export it to an .xml from the Pro version...)
    Since I have only Zephyr Lite, I found out to download the 2week version of Pro, and learn to calibrate my wide angle cameras better,
    can this plan work? Please send me some instructions, what should I take care of during this 2 week period, if its worth or not, etc..
    This was made with autocalibration of a Nikkor 10-20mm lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-5BeD-uVvU&t=1s

thanks for the great Zephyr program!
    robert
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi Robert - Thanks for the kind words about Zephyr!

The wider the camera FOV the lower the pixel density all other things equal, so picking a lens which works best for you is subject to trial and error.

If you want to try lens calibration yourself in Zephyr you can do so in any version of Zephyr through Utilities>Images>CameraCalibration and just follow the on screen instructions.

Comment

• robert langh
      3Dfollower
      • Jun 2021

Hi again,

There was an old post, which gives me some hope for my case, because I definitely think, there is more capacity in my "sjCam sj6 Legend" :
      hi there, i use sometimes a xiaomi yi 4k camera... it's a camera that is always on my bag.. it's small and very handy with a decent image quality, at least, for a action cam however with a almost fish eye type of lens, today, i have taken 107 pictures with a nice overlap of a mural when i was processing it, the supposed plane was "broken" into two planes making around 120 degrees - "V" shape. Is it possible that the software cant figure out my camera calibration settings? thank you

So giving manual control points doesnt make the calibration more reliable? How can it be done?

bests, Robert

Comment

• cam3d
        3Dflover
        • Sep 2017

Hi again robert langh - You can use control points to make bundle adjustments in the full version of 3DF Zephyr. https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...ment-tutorial/

Manual control points can be useful if you have no other alternative, but I'd advise that you take more photos or improve the quality of your images (low iso etc...)

Comment

• jupp2000
          3Dflourished
          • May 2021

I shot with a 12mm Samyang manual lens on my Fuji X-T30. (No fisheye)
          Since only a few EXIF data is transmitted on manual lenses, i had to calibrate that lens in Zephyr.
          I can tell that calibration works great, and the restoration of a model gives no problems.
          Shot about 15 images of that noisepattern, saved the result in a .XML and load that every time i use that lens.
          So the answer to your question "is it worth the work?" = yes
          Kind regards
          jupp2000

Comment

Working...