• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dominic Lim
    3Dflower
    • Jun 2021

Calculating cross sectional area

Hi,

I have a mesh of a tree trunk scaled to control points. I am trying to calculate the cross sectional area as shown in the drawing element in the picture - however, when I use Tools>Distances and Measurements>Area..., and calculate the area using the defined contour, I am getting a value much larger than I am expecting, which means I don't understand what area 3DF Zephyr is computing. Anyone have any advice on how to get the cross sectional area of a mesh? Please let me know, thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-15 113107.png Views:	0 Size:	116.5 KB ID:	7670
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Dominic,

I'm not sure I understand what your issue is. Can you please take few more screenshot to show your process and show what data you're looking at and which tools you used?

Thanks!

Comment

• Dominic Lim
      3Dflower
      • Jun 2021

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for responding. I have a 3D mesh of a tree trunk, that I have applied the mesh filter, Fill Holes - Watertight on. The mesh is as shown in the attached image. How can I calculate the cross sectional area of the middle of the tree trunk? What would be your workflow if you had to find the cross sectional area?
      Last edited by Dominic Lim; 2021-10-28, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

support@3dflow.net and I will be happy to take a look

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢