• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dieter_Weber
    3Dflower
    • Jan 2022

Requesting tips for reconstructing small, dark, glossy object

Hi,

I am experimenting with Zephyr for a few weeks now to learn the skills to do a bigger project soon. My current task is to create a 3d model from a small, complex object that has a black, glossy surface - an old, analog SLR-camera.

After watching all the tutorials I realize there are multiple ways to do it, but I don't know which one is the best, and I am not sure about some details.

My first step would be to spraypaint the surface white, by using an AESUB spray or something similar. Then I see two very different paths:
    1. Attach the object on a tripod in the middle of a room and making photos from all directions.
    2. Using a turntable with a dark background (and using masks).

Now some specific questions about both paths:
    Path 1:
    Because the object is so small and the room relatively large there will be a lot of blur in the background, even if I dial in aperture f/22. Will this lead to errors when creating the model, or will the blurred background be ignored? (assuming I would not use masks.)

Path 2:
    I expect turntable-mode will not work with a uniformely white-painted object, because the lighting/shadows on the object will be different on each photo when rotating the turntable (?). Will it be necessary to create a texture on top of the white coating, and how could that possibly be accomplished?

Or might there be a completely different way of doing it, that I did not think of? What is the best way of photographing a black camera for photogrammetry to get the most detail?
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Dieter_Weber

Welcome to the forum! To answer your questions:

1. It doesn't matter if the background is blurry as long as you have enough surface information from the subject for Zephyr to use for camera orientation. If you apply a light coating of AESUB to the subject you will definitely have enough features to work with without the need to have supporting background information for camera orientation.

2. Here's some information on masking/turntables which you might find useful if you haven't already read it: Link

As long as your photos are sharp and capture the flecks of AESUB, there is no need for further surface preparation. If the spray is too thick, wait a little bit for it to sublimate then try again - What kind of light setup are you using for the capture? If you like you can share a problematic data-set with us through google drive or we transfer, and we can get back to you with targeted feedback on how to improve your image acquisition :-)

Comment

• Dieter_Weber
      3Dflower
      • Jan 2022

Thank you! I will try to make use of the new informations and come back here when I have results.

Comment

• Dieter_Weber
        3Dflower
        • Jan 2022

I finished the reconstruction today. I used chalk spray to produce flecks on the camera (kept a higher distance from the object and sprayed short bursts) and then made around 500 photographs.

I am very happy with the result!

Comment

• cam3d
          3Dflover
          • Sep 2017

Dieter_Weber Great results! Glad to see it worked well for you :-)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎