• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kafkaf21
    3Dflower
    • Aug 2022

Best practice for capturing all sides of a model

Hi,
    I am in the process of evaluating an application which suits me best and I'm sure you have your 'best practice' for capturing all sides of an object.
    I refer to simple small object which can be shot in a studio.
    Usually I would place them on a simple elevated pole and capture the object.
    Sometimes I will need to capture all side of the object, including the 'base'.

I guess the best, unless I can hand it in mid air and take photos from below, would be to make 2 sets of shots and combine them into a single model.
    1 set when the object is standing on it's base and one when the base is upwards.

My question...
    Is this really the best practice and if yes, do you have a tutorial showing how to combine the 2 sets in 3DF Zephyr?
    If not, what is the best practice?

Thank you,

• Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi kafkaf21,

you can move the subject, although you have to be careful - if the background is textured, zephyr won't know if you want to reconstruct, for example, the table the subejct is standing on, or the subject it self.

So unless you can create a complete featurless background (and to be honest, for better results, even in that case) you want to mask the subject, so that only the parts you want to reconstruct are seen by the software.

Here is a tutorial on masking, for turntable: https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...for-turntable/

And here is a videotutorial on masking, in general https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGRw...ture=emb_title

So yes, you could also do a mid-air capture but it's probably a logistics nightmare - much easier to take the photos on a proper capture, and mask out the background. If you plan your background and use the proper material, masking becomes pretty much fully automated and takes just few seconds, so I suggest this method when applicable.

Comment

• kafkaf21
      3Dflower
      • Aug 2022

Thank you, I will give it a try.

Comment

• danwillington
        Blossoming 3Dflower
        • Sep 2022

I appreciate you. I'll try it out.

Comment

• CG-Guy
          3Dflover
          • Apr 2018

It works really well - heres some boxes I did with top and bottom views - they were done by rotating
          Click image for larger version  Name:	unity_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	8438Click image for larger version  Name:	unity_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	8439

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎