X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amandori
    3Dflower
    • Nov 2022

Small object with very reflective surface

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sp=share_link?

i was trying to take picture of an object that so reflective with baumer camera and a ring light with greenscreen as background.
    This is the camera specs( https://www.baumer.com/medias/__secu...=8798822793246 )

the problem is the object is still to shiny even after the the 3d scan spray AESUB. zephyr only took like small number of the pictures. i was saying to the prof its because the glare and the object is to dark. if i raise the shutter speed of the camera or the light intensity from the ring light the glare / reflection is gonna be worse. but he was thinking because the image is not sharp enough. what can you guys say about the fotos? my prof even tried to edit 3 pictures to make it brighter it doesnt help.?

Polarizer is at the moment not an option. The Gdrive link for the pictures before a?nd after the greenscreen remove are above.
    Last edited by amandori; 2022-12-01, 09:28 AM.
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi amandori

Thanks for sharing the camera specifications and the image data you have captured. Here are my thoughts:

- Baumer TXG50c is an industrial camera with a global shutter, low resolution (5.02 mpx) full frame sensor and is compatible with C-Mount lenses - These specifications are suited to industrial applications such as quality control on a factory line and are non-ideal for standard photogrammetry capture.

- Most DSLR or mirrorless cameras have rolling shutter, high resolution sensors and typically have a lot more lens options and control over the image captured. I recommend these types of cameras for standard photogrammetry. The 600D for example has a much higher resolution (17.92 mpx) APS-C sensor and has a wide range of compatible EF-Mount lenses.

- It looks like you are currently using a low power LED ring-light - Image quality is fundamentally dictated by the quality of light captured - If there is not enough light illuminating the subject it will be an uphill struggle so I strongly advise a higher power ring-flash (such as the Godox AR400) - The increased light power will improve image quality significantly and allow more freedom with camera settings.

- As a general rule, brightening images in post production is inferior to improving the quality of light at time of capture.

- Cross polarization is highly recommended for subjects with metallic properties. Polarizing filters will reduce the amount of light captured by the sensor, which makes having a higher power light source even more important.

- You're on the right track with using AESUB to add tiny features to the surface and not coating with a thick layer.

- To calculate DOF you can use this handy online calculator: https://www.photopills.com/calculators/dof

- I recommend that images are captured in the DSLR RAW format then converted to 100% JPEG files before processing in Zephyr.

- I recommend masking the JPEG files using Masquerade which comes with Zephyr.

- Here's an article I wrote a little while ago about turntable setups and masking: https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...for-turntable/

...In short, your hardware is holding you back! Use a DSLR instead and improve your lighting conditions and the rest should start to fall into place.
    Last edited by cam3d; 2022-12-01, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• amandori
      3Dflower
      • Nov 2022

cam3d thank you for the feedback.

we do have that exact camera Canon 600D and diffusor light. but we take this new Baumer Camera because Baumer Camera even though it has lower resolution, it has far better depth of field.

what do you say about the fotos on the google drive that i uploaded?

On picture Thumbnail is my newer setup with baumer camera and ringlight. and there is the spec. of the light.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.5 KB ID:	8611Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.7 KB ID:	8612?
      Last edited by amandori; 2022-12-01, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• cam3d
        3Dflover
        • Sep 2017

amandori

Thanks for sharing the light specifications - The light you have currently is only 65W and I am suggesting to use the Godox AR400 (400W) which is much more powerful and will allow for far superior image quality.

In this context the Baumer cameras are inferior to even a basic DSLR such as the 600D for standard photogrammetry - They are designed for industrial purposes, not general imaging purposes.

DOF is a somewhat complex calculation and is not simply defined by a camera body, but instead the distance of the sensor from the subject, lens focal length, aperture, and the sensors physical size.

Comment

• amandori
          3Dflower
          • Nov 2022

cam3d thank you for the feed back

Comment

Working...