Low-Price LIDAR devices and Photogrammetry together -- any avantages?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jupp2000
    3Dflourished
    • May 2021

Low-Price LIDAR devices and Photogrammetry together -- any avantages?

Hi Zephyr staff!
    Since there are some nice low-bugdet LIDAR devices on the market like this one i would like to ask, if it makes sense to use them combined with photogrammetry?
    It is clear, that they must be mounted on a servo-driven 360 degree arm, but with a 3D printer and some Arduino basics this should not be a big problem.
    But regarding to the output quality, I could not see any examples of a dense cloud for RPLIDAR etc.
    Did you made some experiments with that devices?

Best regards
    Stephan
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi,

we don't have direct experience with that specific device.

low-cost lidar tend to bring in a lot of noise, but it can have their use and there's a lot of different devices out there, some better than other.

Unfortunatley without looking at the data it outputs, we're unable to help you in determining if it's a good product. sorry!

Comment

• jupp2000
      3Dflourished
      • May 2021

Hi Andrea,

I didn't mean this device specifically, but whether you can say in general, whether cheap LIDARs are a recommended
      add-on for indoor work with high-resolution images that come from a normal camera.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by jupp2000
        Hi Andrea,

I didn't mean this device specifically, but whether you can say in general, whether cheap LIDARs are a recommended
        add-on for indoor work with high-resolution images that come from a normal camera.

Hi,

it depends, some people find them useful, some people find them too noisy. It's really up to the device and your use case.

Sorry I don't have a boolean answer

Comment

Working...