X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig
    3Dflower
    • Oct 2022

Suggestions to exactly locate hole edges

I have a project where I'd like to find the 3D positions of all the attachment point around an engine. Such as the engine mounts, exhaust ports, bolts, threaded holes, etc. I can get a nice mesh of the engine, but I'm wondering how to locate the center and edges of holes like the exhaust ports?

I have the full version and will use coded targets for scale, accuracy and to make sure I can tie together projects from the top and bottom of the engine. The engine is not installed so I can see and photograph all sides of it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Craig
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi Craig - I'm not sure about locating the center and edges of holes digitally, but you could tape the occluded holes in real life and mark the center with a compass.

As a general tip you might find that your surface reconstruction improves a lot if you use a fine powder spray - Obviously not possible in some cases, but mattifying surfaces and adding lots of tiny discrete details works wonders for difficult subjects.

Naturally there are a lot of variables and trial and error will help guide you to the best process.

Comment

• Craig
      3Dflower
      • Oct 2022

cam3d, thanks! That's a great idea to use the tape. Simple and effective.

I've used power and sprays before with shiny objects, and I agree they work well!

Comment

• LarryForehand
        3Dflower
        • Jan 2024

What types of powders and sprays have you found effective and how are each applied?

Comment

• cam3d
          3Dflover
          • Sep 2017

Larry B - I personally use low scent talcum powder, and for things which are really important and can't be cleaned easily after capture, I used cyclododecane spray :-)

Comment

Working...