• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam3d
    3Dflourished
    • Feb 2018

Are GoPro cameras suitable?

Hi

I've just started using Zephyr Lite with an SLR to shoot mostly building exteriors and think it's incredible!

However, i want to record higher level shots to fill in the roofs etc and wondered if a high level pole mounted GoPro, such as the Hero 6, could produce useful additional information? I know the small sensor, exposure control etc will be a compromise but just want to know if it's an option?

Thanks

• Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi sam3d,

thank you for your kind words!

Yes, you can mix data from a SRL with data from a different camera, even a gopro. As you mentioned, it's expected that the data coming from a smaller sensor device wont' be as good as if it was taken with a better camera, but you can absolutetly use it

Given the high distortion of the gopro sensor, i suggest you take a few more shots. Zephyr is completetly autocalibrated but if you feed a small amount of photos the autocalibration might fail or be inaccurate, so try taking a few more shots just to be sure.

Bottom line: yes, you can just be a little bit more careful with your acquisition process, if you're not getting the results you're expecting feel free to post here and we'll be happy to help

Comment

• sam3d
      3Dflourished
      • Feb 2018

Great, thank you!

Comment

• SarahC
        SarahC commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow - it handles fisheye lenses automatically! That's very cool.
    Working...