X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CG-Guy
    3Dflover
    • Apr 2018

Cheeseburger - and a Question

Here is the result of my photos in 3D flow - the Textured Mesh and the same Textured Mesh as displayed after export into 3DS Max

Why did I lose the smooth cheese and other features here to be more rough looking? I did export the textured mesh and was expecting something similar

any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Render_04.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2345
  • SarahC
    3Dflourished
    • Mar 2018

Ah, check "Lighting" in Zephyr, you will likely get the same view.
    As a default it doesn't illuminate the polygons directionaly, so it looks flat. When you turn on illumination, the direction of the polygons shows up.

To produce smooth lighting across the polygons, you need to use the right shader on your model inside the 3D modeller, and also you may need to specifiy "Smooth shading" in your 3D app. (Blender for example lets you set the normal calculations to produce smooth lighting effects like this: https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...smooth-shading )

If you want the mesh to be smoother by adding more polygons, you can do that in Zephyr:

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
      3Dflow Staff
      • Oct 2013

Hi Cg-Guy,

as Sarah pointed out you simply were looking at your mesh with the lighting off. It's always a good idea to also completely see the resulting mesh without color/texture (use the three colored triangles icon in the toolbar to toggle it) to see the actual mesh detail.

Also make sure to check out these two (very short, i promise) videotutorials. They go through mesh filtering and how to also apply filters on a mesh sub-selection.

Learn post processing filters for point clouds and mesh generated with 3DF Zephyr. Decimation, Densification, Retopology and much more is offered by Zephyr.J...

Learn how to use the photoconsistent mesh optimization filter in order to extract more details from your photogrammetry project or to obtain a low poly mesh ...

These are basic stuff compared to what you can do in blender or other professional tools, but are a good starting point

Comment

• CG-Guy
        3Dflover
        • Apr 2018

Thanks for the help

Comment

• CG-Guy
          3Dflover
          • Apr 2018

I ran smooth filter on the mesh and it turned out cleaner - here is the set in Marmoset 3

I will of course be making low polygon version but wanted cleaner high to bake normal maps from

Name:	Render_05.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	2354

Here's screen grab in Max - much nicer

Name:	Render_06_Max.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2355

Comment

• SarahC
            3Dflourished
            • Mar 2018

Looks delicious!

The only thing I can see that might need a tweak (I know you weren't looking for feedback, but I like discussions!) - is the cheese.
            Maybe padding it out in your favorite 3D modeler?

It's glossy, so it's going to always be dimpled using photogrammatry as the "sliding" specular highlights influence the structure-from-motion calculations.
            If you're doing these type of scans in the future - I recommend "matting" them - spray on starch or something similar, to reduce the specular noise. Then add in the gloss via a shininess/specular maps depending on your use of physically based rendering or not.

Also perhaps include cross-polarising in your workflow to get a slightly more even diffuse map - it saves a bit of time in post.

Comment

• CG-Guy
              3Dflover
              • Apr 2018

I might be able to smooth that out in z-brush

add a backface mask then use smooth brush then export

ill give it a try and post success or failure

Comment

• CG-Guy
                3Dflover
                • Apr 2018

Looks like smoothing using the brush is the less painful way to proceed

Name:	Cheese_Smooth.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	2361Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheese_Rough.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	2362

Comment

• CG-Guy
                  3Dflover
                  • Apr 2018

It's a fast fix taking a few seconds to smooth out the area

I did need to use this new smooth model as my normal, AO etc.. but the previous model for transferring diffuse info as it seems to have hosed the UV info - I'll investigate further about that but its an easy fix without having to apply a spray on the subject matter in this case

Comment

• CG-Guy
                    3Dflover
                    • Apr 2018

Comment

• SarahC
                      3Dflourished
                      • Mar 2018

Ohhh! You're so close - I wish I could help you with the UV's.. I don't know what's going on there.

I've had a google and the cross polarising filter looks to be very useful... and an interesting "stress visualiser" for transparent plastics!

Misting the shiny stuff with startch or hairspray would likely screw up the diffuse appearance too much for the tomato... but cross polarising and a bit of spray for projects in the future should get you through most issues.
                      If you solve that UV issue - that'd make a very valuable tutorial for people processing shiny things - if you were ever to have the inclination. =)

It'll be interesting to know how it goes - I hope you post back with some updates. =)

Comment

• CG-Guy
                        3Dflover
                        • Apr 2018

Name:	Low_Poly_Burger_Screen_02.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	2397 Here's the outcome thus far on the cheeseburger - low poly with PBR textures

I've been busy on other items - I still am planning on creating the foil paper to set it all on and globs of ketchup and mustard

Name:	Low_Poly_Burger_Screen_03.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	2395Click image for larger version

Name:	Low_Poly_Burger_Screen_01.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	2396

Comment

• CG-Guy
                          3Dflover
                          • Apr 2018

Here's with foil and ketchup

Name:	Foil_Burger_04.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	2401Click image for larger version

Name:	Foil_Burger_03.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	2402Click image for larger version

Name:	Foil_Burger_01.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	2403Click image for larger version

Name:	Foil_Burger_02.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	2404

Comment

• CG-Guy
                            3Dflover
                            • Apr 2018

Here's the final real-time model as a result of 3D-Flow workflow - cup, foil, ketchup and some single fries were hand done with traditional ways

Name:	Last_Render_01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	2426Click image for larger version

Name:	Last_Render_02.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2427

Comment

Working...