X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CG-Guy
    3Dflover
    • Apr 2018

AR workflow using Samsung device

Step by Step Instructions for Augmented Reality Android A walkthrough of how to use Unity to get Art onto your phone

Training Video to get setup:

Required Software:

Unity Engine: (Free version)

https://unity3d.com/ Java: (win 64bit version or your version)

in Unity set JDK path in Edit->Preferences->External Tools

If build errors read this:

Setup path variables in Unity: (Only if having issues this might help)

https://koprowski.it/2017/unity-android-config/ Android Studio:

Android Studio provides app builders with an integrated development environment (IDE) optimized for Android apps. Download Android Studio today.

In Unity set SDK path in Edit->Preferences->External Tools

Google AR Core with Unity

https://developers.google.com/ar/dev...kstart-android Video explaining ARCore

ARCore supported devices

Get a list or download a CSV file of the Android and iOS devices supporting ARCore.

Download the app on android store "ARCore by Google" (Free) to your Android Device.
    This app will allow you to hit the "play button" in Unity as long as your phone is connected via USB and you can debug your art without having to make a build and test it each time

Enable Developer Options on your Android Phone

(Google your phone type and watch video on how to do this for yours)

After you've got all this set up and tested the HelloAR test on your device it's just a matter of swapping their art with your art.

You will drag that into place and hit build and it will ask you to save an APK file which you will then select and right click -> send to -> your device (phone/Tablet) then you will find the file where it stores uploaded files

Mine is Samsung -> My Files -> tap the APK file you uploaded and it will install Vuforia is tool within Unity Engine for AR apps

Vuforia is another 3rd party Program that runs in Unity. It's free to develop with but will cost money when you do create your app. It involves setting up an account on their site and copy/paste license into unity to test your app. It's useful for persons making art for IOS/Android etc.. so you don't have to waste time making different builds for different devices be it phones, tablets, ar glasses etc..

GDC explaining Vuforia

Vuforia Website:

How to install and set up license keys etc:

Using ARcore with Vuforia:

Vuforia Engine can leverage Google's ARCore on devices that support it. Take advantage of ARCore for Ground Plane and Device Tracking (including Extended Tracking) features. You can enable Vuforia Engine to use ARCore instead of using Vuforia’s own plane-finding technology. Using ARCore on devices where it is supported is encouraged. Consider also if your AR app should have ARCore as a requirement or optional depending on the set of devices that you wish to target.

Vuforia Core Samples: (Download this from Unity Asset store it's Free)

Vuforia Ground Plane Demo: Cool Videos that show off Augumented Reality

Portal into another world effect:

Playing Card Demo

Cloud Anchors (for multiplayer game development)
  • CG-Guy
    3Dflover
    • Apr 2018

I also bought Samsung s4 tablet works just as nice but not quite as powerful as note 9 phone

For recording your screen get du recorder free on app store

If you use IOS they have ARkit for their workflow but I could not develop iOS on my pc

Comment

• AvionAvionics
      3Dflourished
      • Nov 2017

Awesome, thanks for the write up. I have been toying with the AR as well and am glad to see someone else with similar workflow. Didnt know about the du recorder though so thank you for the heads up. Is your asset static, or are you manually dragging your asset (example nachos) into position or possibly using another tool such as a Image target or Qr code. Anyway your stuff is looking good, hope to see more (now excuse me the nachos and cupcake made me hungry lol)

Comment

• CG-Guy
        3Dflover
        • Apr 2018

It uses dots called anchor points that lock the object onto the surface detected. I made the material transparent in unity so the dots don't show up but still works as if they exist

Comment

• CG-Guy
          3Dflover
          • Apr 2018

Here's video I've uploaded:

Just click my tag and I have 2 more videos

Let me know if you need further assistance

Comment

• AvionAvionics
            3Dflourished
            • Nov 2017

Good work, Definitely seems more stable than the holotool kit on the hololens

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎