• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artsomnia.art
    3Dfollower
    • May 2019

merging drone + ground image set

Good day,

There is the well known way, how we can marge drone + ground image sets in Zephyr, but I was wondering, that did I missed some new ways, or it remained the same? As:
    - from drone image set - generating sPC - dPC - mesh - export with control points
    - from ground image set - generating sPC - setting up control points - importing the exported drone mesh - converting the imported mesh to point cloud and aligning them by using the control points.

Do we have any new ways? Or that is the correct workflow? Do we have any new setup options to force Zephyr to merge the two image sets in one project from the start? Even if they would create two separate non aligned point clouds, so I would be able to merge them by control points, but at least inside the same project from the start?
  • artsomnia.art
    3Dfollower
    • May 2019

Update:
    The issue is solved, no need of merging the drone data with the ground one. We just bought a Zephyr Pro license to continuing our archaeological pipeline optimization and I made a clean install and with that I used not the right parametrical setups

But even if the issue is solved, I'm interested, if there is any new method of merging projects IF we would run to a scenario that requires it. Or it is still goes as; A) reconstruct to mesh + control points B) reconstruct to mesh + control points and importing A ?

Comment

• cam3d
      3Dflover
      • Sep 2017

Hey artsomnia.art

You're right to think that there are different ways to approach this issue. Primarily it's workspace merging vs external point cloud registration.

Workspace Merge:

To optimize the workspace merge procedure it is recommended to generate just the sparse point cloud into the projects involved before proceeding with the merge. Once this is completed it will be possible to do the rest of your processing in Zephyr as per normal.

You can select your control points (ideally selecting from cameras, not picking directly from the 3D viewport) in each workspace, then merge using those control points. You can alternatively use the nearby camera matching technique when merging workspaces, but this usually needs closer to the ground shots and if you have those already, you can throw both datasets into one project and, assuming enough overlap and matching features, everything should work as a single coherent component.

External Point Cloud Registration:

If you are instead importing a cloud to an existing workspace (not merging workspaces), you can use the ICP or MULTI IPC processes to minimize the difference between clouds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aligment_eng.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	6851

More information here:

https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...space-merging/

https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...-registration/

Comment

• artsomnia.art
        3Dfollower
        • May 2019

Thank You so much cam3d !
        Yes, merging in sparse CP stage would be the ideal scenario. I did not had to face with failed alignment issues inside Zephyr for more than a year (and since I do not work with laser data, I don't have hybrid projects that requires PC merge) and back in the day I had to reconstruct till mesh, and than converting the imported mesh to point cloud, I do not even now why, but somehow it worked like that.

Thanks for your detailed workflow description, it will help me a lot of merging will needed.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎