X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OverSavior
    3Dflower
    • Nov 2020

Newbie here, can't figure this out

Hello! I've installed 3DF Zephyr just recently and today was trying to make a model of a figurine's head I own. I went for the turntable method, except without an actual turntable, instead, I placed the head on an improvised stand, rotated it while making pics and then did some masking. It all looked fine for me, no obvious reasons why would it fail, but for some reason this was what I got after the reconstruction was complete.Click image for larger version

Name:	123.png
Views:	363
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	6879
    Just in case, here are all of the pics I used and their masks: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...dU?usp=sharing
    It seems that it just won't read the details from the images at all and all of the cameras I have are facing the model from roughly the same angle and position very far away, they are not placed around the model as they should be. Oh, also, when reconstructing, I chose general and default options. Any ideas why this might be happening and how could I fix this? Thank you in advance.
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

OverSavior - Hey! I've requested access to your gdrive folder - currently it's not publicly accessible - I'll have a look and give some feedback once I've seen the images

Comment

• OverSavior
      3Dflower
      • Nov 2020

cam3d Ah, sorry, my bad! I somehow forgot to change the sharing settings... I think it should work now

EDIT: I also just tried to clear everything and make a new project with same images and masks, and this time it didn't even generate a mesh. Said "something went wrong" and that's about it
      Last edited by OverSavior; 2020-11-10, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• cam3d
        3Dflover
        • Sep 2017

No worries - Thanks, access granted

There are a few things going on which make this quite difficult:

- Your subject (plastic) has a smooth feature-poor surface. These kinds of surfaces are very hard to construct using photogrammetry. As you are just starting out, it makes more sense to practice on a feature-rich subject first, such as a tree stump or a rock.

- With a challenging subject such as this, there are a number of things you can try which will improve the odds of a successful outcome:

1. Use a DSLR if available - Phone cameras can be quite limited in control and overall image quality.
        2. Use a feature-rich base for the subject to sit ontop of - (attached reference image of Perlin noise) - This will aide the camera orientation.
        3. Use a fine powder (in this case, finely ground pepper would work) and dust the subject to add feature points for Zephyr to use as surface reconstruction reference.
        4. Shoot outside on a bright yet overcast day. You will have much more light to work with than inside, and this will mean your camera can capture higher quality images, with lower ISO.

- Additionally, Your subject only takes up about 420*420px of the overall 1440*2560px image. Even with a feature-rich subject, this is a very low resolution for Zephyr to work with. Try getting in as close as possible and filling the frame of your sensor for better results.

We have a series of video tutorials which I highly recommend to everyone, pro or beginner: https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...hyr-tutorials/ along with extensive documentation: https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...documentation/

I hope this was helpful to you! If you have specific questions that are not covered by our video tutorials or documentation, let us know and we can help guide you to the correct solutions.
        Attached Files

Comment

• OverSavior
          3Dflower
          • Nov 2020

cam3d Thank you for a detailed response, it helped me to understand the process much better! This time I set up a better environment, maxed out my camera's resolution settings and made a simple turntable out of paper (I don't have access to a printer atm unfortunately, so had to paint it with hand). Although the surface came out super rough and many details are missing, but this time it worked! Now I guess I should just keep experimenting so I can get better results in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20201111_152908.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	6894
          Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.png
Views:	273
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	6895Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.png
Views:	279
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	6896

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
            3Dflow Staff
            • Oct 2013

I also suggest you zoom in - if possible for your device and setup - more. You're wasting a lot of information in each photo

Good job on your progress, keep it up!

Comment

Working...