X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CamCrichton
    3Dfollower
    • Sep 2022

Reproject texture to UV mapped model

When importing my model I cannot get it to align with the generated meshes in Zephyr. I have tried matching it to an exported mesh with no luck.

Since there is no option to position the mesh before it calculates the texture I am waiting 15 minutes every time I test this feature. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	331
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	8442?

regards,
    Cam
  • CamCrichton
    3Dfollower
    • Sep 2022

If I export a mesh from Zephyr and reimport, it appears in the same space. If I align a mesh in Maya to the exported mesh and match the transforms, when I bring that into Zephyr it is in a totally different orientation and scale. Why?

Comment

• cam3d
      3Dflover
      • Sep 2017

CamCrichton - Can you please provide a bit more context? I'll assume you're exporting the mesh from Zephyr, modifying mesh in a third party program, and looking to re-import to Zephyr for texturing.

When doing this it's important to avoid translation/rotation/scale adjustments to your mesh whilst in the third party program otherwise things won't match up on re-import.

Comment

• CamCrichton
        3Dfollower
        • Sep 2022

I have a mesh that will import into Zephyr via "import model" - it aligns with a textured mesh I have exported and re-imported. I want to project the texture from the textured mesh to the UV model. However when I try to import mesh with UV I get this error (yes the mesh has UVs)

Views:	306
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	8446?

Comment

• CamCrichton
          3Dfollower
          • Sep 2022

Originally posted by cam3d
          CamCrichton

When doing this it's important to avoid translation/rotation/scale adjustments to your mesh whilst in the third party program otherwise things won't match up on re-import.
          thanks other Cam. I have aligned my UV'd mesh exactly to the exported mesh - the pivot from the new mesh on import is ignored and it places the new mesh with it's pivot at ground (grid) level.

btw - this is ridiculous of Zephyr to assume I'm going to optimise and UV the 2million poly mesh. Retopo always uses new mesh.

Comment

• cam3d
            3Dflover
            • Sep 2017

CamCrichton There should be no need to align UV'd to exported assuming there were no positional transformations applied in the first place -

It's been a long time since I used Maya but can you do a test for me please? If you export from Zephyr to Maya, don't transform at all, do a quick UV map and re-import does it appear in the correct position and at the correct scale? If any transformations are done in Maya they may stick as a result of history states.

Comment

• CamCrichton
              3Dfollower
              • Sep 2022

This is the exported/imported textured mesh and the imported model - they line up pretty well - but how do I get the texture onto this model? I just want to reproject it from the textured mesh onto the imported model.

Views:	317
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	8450?

Comment

• CamCrichton
                3Dfollower
                • Sep 2022

Yes I can export and reimport the unwieldy high res meshes just fine. But this is a completely new mesh - Retopology requires building a new mesh. I am not going to optimise - or even attempt to open a 2 million poly triangulated mesh in the UV editor. I am a vfx artist, this is the process every vfx artist uses - and apparently not just a Zephyr issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIj0ByhICtM

I'll follow this example and in Maya merge the new retopo mesh into the exported Zephyr scan and delete the scanned poly's leaving only the new mesh.

Comment

• cam3d
                  3Dflover
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by CamCrichton

I'll follow this example and in Maya merge the new retopo mesh into the exported Zephyr scan and delete the scanned poly's leaving only the new mesh.
                  Sounds like a good way to avoid rogue transformations :-) If you're still stuck after following that example, feel free to reach out - Happy to help troubleshoot.

Comment

• CamCrichton
                    3Dfollower
                    • Sep 2022

didn't work - I must say at this point this software has gone from being awesome and creating better pgram mesh and textures than anything else I've seen to being total time wasting garbage. If I can't export or transfer the texture in a useful manner it defeats the whole purpose of using this software.

edit: it appears to be the fbx importer in Zephyr is not behaving properly. I can output a model in metres and it imports at the same scale as one in centimetres. Ignores scale factor.

With that in mind I could fudge the transforms and get the model in the correct position

Views:	312
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	8454

but still can't import that same model to "import mesh with UV"

Views:	303
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	8455

I'm going to assume it's the UVs at this point. Are UDIMs supported for import?

Two days and counting trying to export this.....

edit-edit: Yep UDIMs are fine, the FBX importer is busted, same model imports under "import mesh with UV" when in obj format?
                    Last edited by CamCrichton; 2022-09-27, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• CamCrichton
                      3Dfollower
                      • Sep 2022

same model as pictured in the previous post imported with "import mesh with UV"

Views:	278
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	8457?

Comment

• CamCrichton
                        3Dfollower
                        • Sep 2022

UDIMs are not supported either.

I corrected the obj and imported with UV, it only projected one UDIM tile

Comment

• CamCrichton
                          3Dfollower
                          • Sep 2022

Faith restored, albeit on one UV tile. I can output 8k and manually manipulate them in PS.

Views:	303
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	8460
                          Still not 100% clear on the import axes of the obj and why it comes in 90 degrees rotated using the import with UV function.?

Comment

• CG-Guy
                            3Dflover
                            • Apr 2018

A free program called "xnormal" can transfer the output texture of Zephyr using zephyr UVs to the UVs of your new UVd mesh if that what you require. They have to be in same position and rotation and set your pivots to match.

Application that allows you to generate normal / ambient occlusion / displacement maps.

If that's what you were needing. I do it all the time after I remesh the zephyr to a lower model in zbrush and uv it in max.

Comment

Working...