• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdussart
    3Dfollower
    • Jul 2022

OBJ file details

Dear,

When you save a textured mesh as OBJ, there is no option to define the level of details you want to get.
    There is may be a simple way to control the detail of OBJ files, but I did not find it.

With Zephyr FREE, it looks like the level of details saved as OBJ is corresponding to the mesh without texture.
    The textured mesh seem much more detailed.

The Export options are simplistic with FREE, this is understandable, say for commercial reasons..

Is it better with the Lite version ?
    Same question with the STL options for the Lite version.
    The capability of a preview before save (of a limited part of the model) would be also useful

Regards, Philippe
  • pdussart
    3Dfollower
    • Jul 2022

Dear,

Here are some additional info and parameters.

I have used "general", "deep" and "high details "for all workflow steps.

I am trying to reproduce an old street lamp. About 2,5 meter high.
    What you see below is part of the street lamp base, with the arms of the city.(this is about 40 cm high)
    Masquerade was used.
    Very happy with what I see on the textured mesh screen, but the OBJ file produced seem much less detailed, also with holes that are not visible on the textured mesh.

Regards, Philippe

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	237
Size:	923.5 KB
ID:	8496?

Comment

• DMG
      3Dfollower
      • Sep 2022

Hi Philippe,
      I can't be very specific as I'm not in front of my computer, but there are options regarding how 'watertight' your model is in the advanced options. Might be worth a look.
      Alternatively if you're doing retopology in different 3D software, you could build that, make sure it has UVs, then import it as a UVed model, and generate the texture that way.

Cheers, Derek.

Comment

• cam3d
        3Dflover
        • Sep 2017

Hi pdussart - Here are my thoughts:

- If the initial camera orientation stage works well at defaults then I recommend using default rather than deep. Not only will it process faster, but it will (generally speaking) be just as good if not better results. Deep is useful for problematic datasets which don't work at default.

- When texturing I recommend generating a single texture map rather than multiple, as not all third party programs support multiple textures.

- Textured OBJ file size is dependent on two main factors, vertex count & texture file size:

You can reduce vertex count prior to textured mesh export using decimation tools in Zephyr (Tools>Mesh Filters>Decimation...) or alternatively set the max vertices in the Textured Mesh Generation Wizard (Advanced Settings).

With a JPEG texture the file size will vary (lossy compression) but will be smaller than PNG or TIFF (lossless). If you have Photoshop or a similar image editing program you can reduce the JPEG down even smaller with stronger compression or lower resolution. It's a balance and you will have to feel this out yourself.

- Yes the export options with 3DF Zephyr Free are limited - There are many more export formats with the paid versions of Zephyr. You can try for yourself with a free trial of Lite or Full: https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-ev...download-page/

I hope this was informative. Let me know if you have any further questions - Happy to help!

Ps. Can you please share a screen shot of the exported mesh so I can better understand what you are seeing? Programs render 3D files differently and it may just be a virtual lighting effect but I'd need a visual to confirm.

Comment

• pdussart
          3Dfollower
          • Jul 2022

Dear,
          Thanks for the reaction.
          Ithink I have found another way.: if you use "Workflow/Advanced/Generate Enhanced Mesh" instead of "Export", you have a better control of the detail and the size of your OBJ files.

Personnally, I would prefer a single place to produce an OBJ file, instead of Export AND Generate.
          I would also propose some simplified options like "low details" "Default" and "High details"
          I would also keep the "target triangles" amount available, when useful to do so.

Regards, Philippe

Comment

Working...