• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jtesta
    3Dfollower
    • Nov 2022

Issues with Rotating and Moving Objects

Hello,

Just upgraded to version 7.3 and wondered if anyone else having these same issues. We have a 3D mesh that we are trying to rotate and align with the grid. The workflow in the prior version was to use the Transform Object tool to change the orientation of the object and the XYZ coordinates in 3D space. However, in this new version, when pressing OK to accept these changes, this doesn't seem to work. The rotation changes are applied, but the object does not remain in the position it was moved to on the grid. (In other words, rotations are applied but translations are not. It is also worth noting that the viewpoint reverts to the original angle as well.) I've included some screen shots to illustrate.

1. Mesh is not oriented correctly. Turned on scale/rotate/translate to adjust.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-06 134856.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	8852
    2. Used tool to rotate the object and align with the grid. (This also changed viewpoint of object)

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-06 135051.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	8853
    3. Pressed 'OK' to apply changes. Viewpoint reverts back, rotation changes are applied but object removed from position it was placed on the grid.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-06 135248.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	8854
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hey Jtesta - Thanks for raising this!

I can confirm that the transformations are applied, even though it doesn't look like it -

You can test this yourself by exporting a model, apply a transformation to that same model in Zephyr and then import the previously exported model.

If you head to Tools>Workspace>TransformGrid you can move the grid around in Zephyr 7.0.

------------

I'll let the devs know that applying transformations result in setting the values to zero and that the view-port changes automatically when the transformations are applied.

Comment

• Jtesta
      3Dfollower
      • Nov 2022

Thanks cam3d!

The TransformGrid is helpful to an extent... moving the grid to the object is not as easy as moving the object to the grid. Furthermore, after the object is positioned on the grid, if you try to rotate the object, it then gets reset to the distant position in 3D space (in other words, moved from the position placed on the grid).

How do we replicate the functionality we had in the previous version?

Comment

• cam3d
        3Dflover
        • Sep 2017

Hey Jtesta - Thanks for the feedback - If you have a paid Zephyr licence you can roll back to a previous version (https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-version-archive/) however the free version of Zephyr is always the most recent version.

after the object is positioned on the grid, if you try to rotate the object, it then gets reset to the distant position in 3D space (in other words, moved from the position placed on the grid).
        - I was unable to replicate this on my end. Are you able to share a video screen-grab of this issue?

Comment

• Jtesta
          3Dfollower
          • Nov 2022

Hi cam3d,

We use Zephyr Lite on our engineering workstations, but when working remotely I use the free version to modify the models generated (it's easier than logging in to the workstation remotely).

I have captured a video of the issues we are having. You can see that I am attempting to rotate the 3D object and align it to the grid. However, when toggling between these tools, the object reverts back and the changes to the position on the grid are not saved. The viewpoint jumping around when applying rotations/translations also makes this workflow difficult.

Much appreciated!

Comment

• Roberto
            3Dflow
            • Jun 2011

Hi JTesta,

Thanks for the video. There's a clear problem, as the grid shouldn't be reset after a "transform object" operation (second part of the video). We'll investigate the issue and possibly release a patch soon.
            However, the grid is always reset "by design" to its initial position when you open the "transform grid" to reposition it (first part of the video).

We'll investigate the issue, as I understand you cannot position and maintain the grid correctly in this case.
            To give you further detail of why we changed the behavior, the grid is now a floating object that serves as a reference for a specific object (of a group of objects if they are all structured). This way, you can have unstructured objects very far away and still see a grid as a reference when you focus. Every unstructured object now has an independent reference grid.

Comment

• Jtesta
              3Dfollower
              • Nov 2022

Roberto,

Thanks. We have found that we can use the rotate gizmo to move the 3D object and position it on the grid, however the position changes when saving/reopening the file. The way the rotate gizmo worked before (with apply and OK, not changing viewpoints when turning on or off, and leaving the object in position placed upon save and exit) was most desirable.

Comment

• Roberto
                3Dflow
                • Jun 2011

Could you please share the dataset with us? We need only the .zep project file, no need for the original pictures. You can send it to support@3dflow.net or here in the forum.

Thanks!

Comment

• Roberto
                  3Dflow
                  • Jun 2011

No need for the dataset. We were able to replicate the issue. It actually happens when the sparse point cloud is not visible. We'll release the fix with the next minor patch. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎