• Show
Clear All
  • jupp2000
    3Dflourished
    • May 2021

Ghosting effects on texture

Hi folks,
    i am working on a model, with two complete sets of images:
    The first set is the original "clean" body, the body of the second set is coated with scanning spray.
    Each of the set alone is very good aligned, also the mix of them together has a great aligment in my eyes.

I went through the whole process with both datasets together , the final texture has done only with the "clean" pictures.only the clean set i get a clean texture, but of course the model is not that great.

Please see the attached images

Attached Files
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Jupp,

if you're happy with the geometry, you can select only the desired photos in the texture phase, so exclude the images you don't want to bring their color information in the texture.

If instead you prefer the gometry of one of the two sets, you can consider processing them separately, export the mesh from 1 set and register it to the second set, then structure it and use the other set photos for texturing.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• jupp2000
      3Dflourished
      • May 2021

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

If you're still having ghosts, it's either you didn't remove an image or there's a badly oriented camera somewhere. Try checking which cameras see the point where the ghosting is.

yes, do a first rough alignment (either via gcp or even visually) then run an ICP, make structured and retexturize it

Comment

• jupp2000
          3Dflourished
          • May 2021

as an owner of a Zephr Lite License, that is only running the big brother for the contest:
          Please enlighten me what ICP is.

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
            3Dflow Staff
            • Oct 2013

You won't be able to do this workflow with the lite edition - ICP allows you to do a fine alignment, as the GCP/visual one is a rough one and very prone to human error.

Point cloud registration (ICP)   Welcome to the 3DF Zephyr tutorial series. In the following tutorial, you will learn how to apply the Point Cloud Registration algorithm (ICP). The practical application in this tutorial is to use the photogrammetry information in order to colorize a laser scan point … Read More

You can ask for a 3DF Zephyr license for the world cup here in case you want to try it https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-ev...download-page/

Comment

• jupp2000
              3Dflourished
              • May 2021

Comment

• jupp2000
                3Dflourished
                • May 2021

Andrea Alessi

Originally posted by Andrea Alessi
                Hi Jupp,

If instead you prefer the gometry of one of the two sets, you can consider processing them separately, export the mesh from 1 set and register it to the second set, then structure it and use the other set photos for texturing.
                sorry to ask again, could you explain with wich tools i register the "good" mesh to the workspace with the "good" images?
                Do i use control points or is there an other way?

Thanks in advance
                Stephan

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                  3Dflow Staff
                  • Oct 2013

Hi Stephan,

you can either use GCPs or visually.

here's a sample workflow:

Project A: made with images with spray
                  Project B: made with clean images

Get both projects to the mesh stage.

Workflow 1:

Set common GCPs in both projects. Use either project A or B as reference, and use such control points to move the other project in the same reference system. Export the mesh from project A and import it in project B. It is now roughly aligned, feel free to adjust it with the gizmo.

Workflow 2:

Simply export the mesh from project A, import it in project B. It will very likely in a different scale and position, so use the gizmo to put it visually where it should be.

Regardless if you used workflow 1 or 2, you should now be in the same condition: project B has an unstructured mesh (A) that matches the position / scale / rotation of its mesh.

Use the ICP to do the fine alignment.

When the ICP has completed, right click -> make structured the unstructured mesh, and that's it! You have the geometry from project A textured with the photos used in project B!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need additional guidelines!

Comment

• jupp2000
                    3Dflourished
                    • May 2021

Andrea Alessi

Holy crap! That worked at the first try and with surgical precision. Thank you for that hint.
                    How about selling ICP as a plugin? (just the single ICP)
                    Just from my point of view, I would pay the price for the lite version or even a little more for that tool.
                    For a user with no commercial intentions like me, the big Zephyr is out of reach, so this would be a great way to get that timesaver.

Zephyr impresses me again and again...

Best regards
                    Stephan

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                      3Dflow Staff
                      • Oct 2013

Hi Stephan,

glad I could help!

Unfortunatley professional-grade featuers such as the ICP and laser scanning support, will not be sold separately as they are part of our full version. Keep in mind zep files are compatible between lite and full, so you can eventually get the monthly version if you need it for a shorter period

Comment

• jupp2000
                        3Dflourished
                        • May 2021

yes, i can understand that.

Comment

• jupp2000
                          3Dflourished
                          • May 2021

Andrea Alessi

oh, i forgot something to tell:
                          There was a long time period of "creating packs" in the final texture process (20min or so) , where the processbar did not move and no activity in the system info was seen.
                          Is that the normal case?

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                            3Dflow Staff
                            • Oct 2013

It can be long depending on the dataset complexity and computer processing load. You can share the logfile to support@3dflow.net but if it completed, then everything's fine

Comment

Working...